isn't this unprofesssional???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Curious Porpoise, Mar 28, 2006.

1. The Curious Porpoise

The Curious Porpoise LawnSite Member

a few times potential customers have asked me how often i edge the sidewalk and driveway. at first i was kinda puzzled at this and i said i edge every time i come. The customer then goes on to tell me that their previous lawn service only edged it once every two visits. Judging by the customers reaction, this didn't sit well with them. I feel that by the end of two weeks, the grass has gone too long w/o being edged and hangs considerably over the sidewalk/driveway. For paying some one to maintain their lawn, shouldn't they get an every visit edging? i mean how long does it take- 75 seconds? is this a common practice i haven't caught on to yet?

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

To tell you the truth i dont even have many people that ask me to edge the sidewalks. I offer it but nobody seems to care as long as its trimmed nice. I dont think you would have to do it everyweek. You can go a couple weeks and still keep a nice edge, but if thats what they want and are willing to pay for it go ahead and do it payup

3. anj

anj LawnSite Member

are you charging extra for edging? i do it on all my properties and it is included in the fee.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No. It can be done every two weeks and still kept looking good. As long as it is cleaned up a bit with a trimmer if necessary, it is fine. Many people do the actual edging once a month and clean it up with the trimmer in between. I don't prefer to do it that way, because it is just as fast and even more efficient to do it with a stick edger.

5. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I personally like to stick edge it everytime. I want my people to edge it everytime unless a customer specifically asks to do otherwise. We do ont charge extra for edging. The only time that we cahrge extra for edging is if an edge is overun and we actually have to create one.

6. Lawnaholic

Lawnaholic LawnSite Member
    from DFW, TX

I do my "new customer" lawns and all initial(start of the season) edging with a stick edger then thereafter I use my line trimmer for efficiency purposes. Once the groove is made w/ the stick edger it's easier and faster to walk/work with one piece of equipment then having to use the stick edger, placing it back on my gridiron rack(even though it is a speedy transition w/ the way the system is built), then grabbing the line trimmer to finish the job, etc. Edging is part of my standard: mow, edge, line trim, and blow service and it's done every visit. I've heard of the every other week method but I've never tried it. I've been so used to and my customers have become accustomed to me edging every week that I just do it w/out thought. Down here we have mostly Bermuda and St. Augustine turf and nothing looks better than a fine manicured edged lawn.

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

most of my customers dont care about it.......I edge 2 times per year and maintain it with the trimmer....

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Do what you think looks good thats all thats matters:dancing:

9. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

i find its the sharp,razored edge that customers notice the most.seems a lot of homeowners don't bother with the edging if they mow they're own yard.so its what makes the professionally done yard stick out the most.

crisp and clean is the routine

10. Ollie3

Ollie3 LawnSite Member

I edge every time I'm at a property. It makes evrything look defined.

Ollie.