Issue revisited: mobile devices for weather maps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Roger, May 17, 2007.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I know this issue has been discussed in the past, but devices keep changing, and what is available keeps changing.

Is anybody actively using a mobile device to tap into weather maps? The intent is to make work-related decisions in the field based upon weather. I want to have access to radar weather maps (e.g. Accuweather, WeatherUnderground, etc). I now have a cell phone, but it is not Internet-ready. My carrier is Verizon.

I have learned that some phones have the Internet-ready capability, but also PDA-type devices (smart phones?) can also access Internet. The screen on a typical cell phone seems too small to be of much use to read maps. On the other hand, a PDA-type device larger, providing a large viewing screen and a small keyboard to do the web access.

I have talked with Verizon about the matter. They suggested an LGVX for the cell phone solution. For the PDA type devices, their suggestion was either a Motorola Q, or a Blackberry 7250. The Palm Treo is much more money, and has more functionality than required.

I don't want the phone for any of the entertainment downloads. I don't watch television at home, and I certainly wouldn't want to watch TV while on the road mowing. Nor, do I care about music downloads. I might use MP3 downloads periodically, but that requirements does not drive the decision.

I have lost some valuable time the past couple of days because of bad decisions on judgments of impending rain/showers. Had I known what a couple of maps would tell me, I would have made different decisions. I regularly use maps on my PC at home, so the notion is not foreign to me.l

Anybody have any recent experiences, pro or con?

Thanks.

2. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

I have Alltel service and subscribe to Accuweather. I use the radar feature regularly to determine where the showers are.

It works well for me and I've never thought I needed anything else. Costs less than $4 per month, at least thru Alltel.

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Any internet capable phone should work fine for you. I have Sprint and use a Sanyo SCP8400 to get the Accuweather radar. It marks your location on radar with an "X" and you can pan, zoom in and out and animate the radar image. No need for anything bigger IMHO

4. NittanyLawncare

NittanyLawncare LawnSite Member

[​IMG]
    Free...Lest inital cost

5. NittanyLawncare

NittanyLawncare LawnSite Member

....But...if your looking for it on your phone, just go into the "get it now" feature, then "get going", then "news and weather", choose whichever maximizes utility for you (Whichever one makes you happy):
    AccuWeather.com Premium weather service
    MyCast Weather
    Weather Scout
    Weather News

It will determine which cell tower your pulling from and give you a picture of what the expected forcast is and temp. Subscription is $4 per month and although the cell store will be disheartened to learn that they can't sucker you like the other poor uneducated fools who they sell the "you need to buy another phone, which automatically renews your plan for a year" bit to, at least your wallet (and your clients) will be happier in the end. :clapping:

6. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i have sprint and use MyCast Weather and weather bug pro for text message severe weather alerts.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I use Sprint and have a Samsung Blade phone. I can log into the weather channel dot com (among others) and get doppler radar, and also Sprint's "On Demand" has a radar feature. My screen is large for a phone, but it sure would be nice to have a 6" screen in the truck to check up to the minute Doppler.

I'm with you though,...When I see those dark clouds coming I'd like to know if it will be a quick 5 minute sprinkle or a 3hr downpour!