Issue with BRAKES, whats the problem?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Chop Stuff Up, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

I'm only getting about 10,000 miles on a set of severe duty pads on the fronts. The rear pads have about 30k on them and they are almost shot. The fronts wear fairly evenly. It appears that they drag while I drive. Basically its like the calipers are going, but because its evenly on both sides, could the issue be the master cylinder? The rears seem to be wearing sooner than they should, too. I had a person suggest greasing the sliders but it's still the same issue. I suppose the master cylinder isn't that hard of a job to do, I just don't want to throw out several hundred on a truck with 220k on it.

2. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

all newer brake's have a certain residual pressure on them but if it is excessive ,better think about rebuilding or replacing the caliper's check the rotor's for warping .also are you towing a heavy trailer with brakes ,are the trailer brake's working ?your front brake's do the majority of the braking on the truck ,the trailer could be pushing the truck along .:)good luck .

3. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you hauling a lot of weight with a half ton or quarter ton pickup? That could be your answer right there. Size of vehicle and size of typical load are important to this discussion.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Some things I know:

1. Slowing down with less use of the brakes by letting off the gas much sooner helps.
    > Also increases the truck's fuel efficiency.
    2. If the discs are scored or scratched this can wear pads like a sandpaper.
    3. If the pins the caliper rides on are sticking so will the brakes.

But 10k miles on pads is not unusual for most drivers I see,
    always in such a dang hurry the whole bunch.

I like to get 100k out of mine but I drive like an old man and it takes practice.