Issues on Walkers and Navigators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A-Land, Oct 12, 2008.

1. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

First off, please only reply if you run these machines. If you just have an opinion on what you think is better, thanks, but no thanks.

I'm looking to purchase either a Walker GHS or Navigator.

I plan on buying used (lightly used...) and I wanted to hear from people who run these machines if any recent fixes were very necessary to how they run. For instance, exmark made a few changes to the navigator within a few years of it coming out in 2005 I believe. Walker upgraded the size of the blowers in 2007 I believe and possibly the frames too. (Among other changes to each, of course)

Should I try to only look at machines a few years old at the most? Or should I be okay with any year?

Thanks!

2. truthnlife13

truthnlife13 LawnSite Member
    from Maine

For about 8 months now. We have 2 at my groundskeeper job and I just bought one for myself. There are 2- 99's and 1- 98. My 99 has had the blower upgraded. Big improvement ! Have only sat on a Navigator but never used it.

3. b121774

b121774 LawnSite Member

Definately on the Walker side, try to stick with the MT with bigger blower or an older MT with an upgraded blower. You can also upgrade an older MT with a new blower for as cheap as $400 as I've heard. You cannot upgrade the MC walker easily so stay away from it unless it's the new style with 10.5" blower already in it. I have an 08 MT and I love it!

4. A-Land

I'm leaning toward the navigator because it seems more streamlined.... and a lot of the issues seem like they are minute. (minUte as in small lol)

5. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

? ? ? ? Bump bump

6. A-Land

^^ haha okay..... thanks

7. GrasMstr

GrasMstr LawnSite Member

Test drove the Walker, didn't care for the controls and fit of the machine.
    Tested and bought a Navigator 225 hrs ago and would buy another.
    Some very small issues with bolts coming loose and such. Like the handling better than the Walker. Wish Exmark had options. Mine is the 27 Hp 48 Inch cut

8. A-Land

Yeah the ability to attach a SD deck is a bonus, but I'm buying it to bag and that's it. I have my scag to SD.

What did it cost out the door?

Should I definitely go with the 27 hp over the 20 hp? Do you know the approx GPH for the 27? That's a big engine for a 48" deck :weightlifter:

9. BarrFarms

BarrFarms LawnSite Member
    from Ne Ar

The exmark is several hundred pounds heavier, and it makes a huge difference. It also has a molded plastic around the seat and what not, and gets in the way frequently. I demo'd both and now own a walker.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  10. A-Land

haha two people who demo's both and bought the opposite...... to each his own