Issues with height adjusters on toro 21" proline.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jun 26, 2007.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2006 toro proline 21" with the kawasaki engine and no BBC. This unit is good except for the height adjusters. According to the manual my unit's height adjusters should be cutting at: 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 inches. However, at the so called 2" mark, the mower is cutting at 1.75" and scalping especially over bumpy terrain. At 2.5", the mower is cutting at 2.75" and leaving the grass shaggy, with uncut blades. In talking to other toro proline owners of 06 and newer units in my area, quite a few seem to have the same issues. I contacted toro and usual, they say nothing is wrong and that there's nothing they can do about it. They did say that the changed the height adjusters from 2006. I've owned 3 toro prolines in the last 10 years and never had this issue.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to correct this problem, beyond selling the unit and going for a new one?

2. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

Does 1/4 inch make that much of a difference? You can replace the front and rear plates (height adjust brackets) easily, but I am sure it would be the same part you already have.

Have you mowed with some deck tilt? Set the backs one higher than the fronts? We do this often

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

A 21" is pretty simple. Just a blade with wheels suspended at the corners. I'm not sure how it would scalp any more at that height than any other brand, other than perhaps the lawn boys with the staggered wheels.

I mow Bermuda on the A position with a 2005 model (the lowest setting on the residential models) and no scalping. In fact, I wish it could go a little lower, it seems to be about 1.75".

I'm wondering what grass you have up north that can even handle 1.75" or 2" mowing heights. I thought it got cut tall up there.

If your settings are off, it's not unheard of. I have had numerous mowers over the years. Recently, my Exmark ztr cuts .5" below the designated height. The Gravely ztr .25" below, another toro fixed deck wb .5" below, and a toro floater wb .5" below. Some of them it's simply how they were set up by the dealer and I don't want to mess with it. The wb's are not really adjustable. I use a measuring tool to check pitch and cut height and adjust for the innacuracies of each deck when setting cut height.

Odd that your mow height is higher than indicated at one setting, and lower at another.

If you are getting uncut blades is there a chance your blade pitch is off at one setting? (front of blade higher than rear) I'm not that familiar with the proline settings, but is there any chance there was an install error or you're one notch off when you set them? Try measuring the blade in front and then in the rear to make sure the blade is pitched flat or slightly higher in the rear. If not, just raise the rear wheels one setting and it might improve the cut. reversed blade pitch (rear lower than front) will cause cut problems for sure.

4. TXbulldog

TXbulldog LawnSite Member

I have the 22167 and the heights are listed as 3/4, 1-1/4, 1-3/4, 2-1/4, 2-3/4 and 3-1/4. I actually measured today and found that those measurements are actually the height of the deck. The cutting edge of the blade is actually 1/4 inch higher than that. So I have 1, 1-1/2 etc. This time of year I alway raise my cutting height 1/2 to an inch.