Issues with Toro Personal Pace Residential / Commercial (just 15 yards)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rkmcniel, Jun 19, 2010.

1. rkmcniel

rkmcniel LawnSite Member
    Male, from Gardendale AL

Having major issues with this Personal Pace system. Wheels locking up when going backwards, and sometimes even forwards. Replaced transmission, belt, rear wheels, still the wheels are wanting to lock up...thank goodness it is under Warranty. This is the 379$ one from Home Depot...I wonder if the 580$ dollar version with the Honda engine would be any better?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure but if you buy one from a dealer you would at least get their warranty
    department's support in the repair shop because that is where my machine
    would be headed if I were experiencing these types of problems.

3. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

It's all in the transmission system, not the engine there. That and before I'd drop $580 on a consumer pos Toro, I'd look hard and close at bad boys 21". That thing is gnarly for $400. All though you'd be better served by finding a used 36" walk behind.

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

spend the $ and get a real toro-the proline. you have found out that buying cheap doesnt save in the long run

5. jahbp

jahbp LawnSite Member

Check the gear on the shaft that turns the wheel they may not be on right way

6. joshnwright

joshnwright LawnSite Member

:hammerhead:I have the one with the honda engine on it engine is grait but it has plastic gears that go to metal gears thay have striped twice in the two months Ive had it and my dealer would not warranty it due to "mud in the tires" I'm not to happy about it I just leave it at the shop and use my old trusty 21" MTD haha it is a cheap little pile but atleast it will pull its self around

7. HighFiveBassin

HighFiveBassin LawnSite Member
    from VA

I have the Personal Pace Super Recycler that I bought from a dealer over 12 years ago. I use it just for my own lawn and the only repair issue I ever had with it was a cable that broke after I snagged it on a tree branch. The rear wheels are worn almost smooth.

It has always locked up about 25% of the time when pulling it backwards. Something in the drive system doesn't release. This was addressed in the manual and the instructions were to ease it forward to release. This has been my only aggravation with the mower as you never knew how much effort it was going to take to pull it backwards. I think it is a design flaw and Toro should have found a way to correct it by now. I just learned to live with it.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have learned not to think that way, lets just say Stihl gas cap.

I have found that appears to be the best answer.

9. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I've had the same problem with my Lawnboy which has the same drive system. I've replaced everything from the shaft out to the wheel on the side that locks up on mine. There is a nylon part that is supposed to release the wheel when you move backwards. I can make the parts work when I'm assembling the parts but for some reason it occasionally locks up the wheels when I pull it backwards. If you roll forward a few inches it should release to go backwards. I've moved my mower to a backup machine until I can figure out exactly what's wrong with it. I'll try adding some different grease next to see if that might help.

_9550004.jpg

10. balreadysaid

balreadysaid LawnSite Senior Member

buy the push version for this reason. less moving parts means less breakdowns. i dont own a push mower with propulsion and i never have a transmision problem lol go figure! i paid 822 with the bag and tax for my new toro comercial 21 push sounds like alot but with the gsv190 honda its the second most torque out of all the honda and toro comercial mowers and i think it is tied for first in hp. @ 6.5, in comercial versions they run lower hp. i just found this out while looking up the engine specs from kohler honda and kawasaki. the gcv190 and gsv190 motors are almost the same except for the bore is a iron liner on the gsv.