Ist lawn job and I break off a backflow preventer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flascaper, May 4, 2008.

1. flascaper

flascaper LawnSite Member

I just bought a gravely ztr 44 inch and my very first time I took out a back flow valve. It came up 3 ft off the ground. I am new to using the Ztr but I first went byt it I said to myself don't hit that thing and then I hit the darn thing and water went gushing. I quickly turned off the water and went to the irrigation store and bought everything I needed. It was schedule 80 pipe and cost me 43.00 dollars. Any way the customer was happy I fixed it and now I got the hang of this gravely. He did mumble at first "not a good start" But this is the first and last time I do that. In my first week I did land 6 new lawns as well.

2. it happens, first time I ran a skid steer I tore a blower off a grain bin.

3. Bennett scape

Bennett scape LawnSite Member

got my tiger cub stuck in the mud the first time i used it. I am also new to ZTRs and being a business owner everyone does it don't let them tell you they do not.

4. flascaper

flascaper LawnSite Member

Yeh thats what I told the customer. It happens all the time. At least I know where it is now. I also never cut now untill I walk the yard its amazing how many rubber balls and chew toys are out there.

5. wintergreenlawn&landscape

wintergreenlawn&landscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

1st time I used a Z, I went screaming down a hill into the customers rose bed and almost went for a swim in the inground pool. After I regained my composer and cleaned my shorts, I climbed back on and never have nosed that thing down an embankment again. Unless you do that, youll never have an understanding of what not to do!!

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

That Really Flows..............

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in my 7th year and just got done pulling mine out last week.
    That's the second time I've gotten that thousand pound beast stuck :cry:

Another good one is getting the ROPS caught on a tree branch and 'popping' a wheelie.

But my favorite is still running the Wb at full speed and hitting some solid object...
    Then flying over the handlebars engine still going full tilt.
    Oh yesss...

Walking the lawn does help.
    Oh yeh it also helps if you never get into 'stunt mowing.'
    Or if you never think of mowing as a sport.

We had a guy here many years ago...
    He took his Z down some steps into a back yard...
    Then on is way out he realized he could never get back up the steps.
    He had to leave the Z there, in the customer's fenced in back yard.
    Still not sure how that one ever worked out.