Ist mowing of the season-short or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Apr 28, 2003.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

If you normally mow around 3", should the first cut of the season be shorter and if so how short?

Joel B.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

All of my mowings are at the same height. Spring, Summer and Fall. Lawn experts all agree that you should never cut grass below it's normal height. That would be to where the grass color changes.
  3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Richard may be right, but I cut a little shorter (1/2 inch) in the fall and spring to help with clean ups. My mower bags better lower and leaves blow easier.
  4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Cut high in the spring, it helps shade the soil so that weed seeds have a harder time germinating. In the fall you can cut a bit lower because the grass changes the way in which it grows.
  5. IndyProCare

IndyProCare LawnSite Member
    from Indy

Cut High & results for a wondeful turf and weed control. Never take off more than 1/3 of the actual height of the grass blades. When in doubt.....learn what type of grass you are cutting and what the recommended heights are. Oh ya, double cut when necessary, its a life saver in turf care.
  6. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

I think that you should cut short on the first cut of the spring to cut off the brown tips, and short in the fall to discourage snow mold. other than that cut high and often, do not bag clippings.