Isuzu 4wd???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Ol Dull Blade, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Ol Dull Blade

Ol Dull Blade LawnSite Member
    from wise,VA

I would like to buy a truck maybe this time next year...i would like to do away with a truck and trailer setup...i need a truck to do some snow plowing with ...i would like an isuzu with a open landscape bed on it??..does isuzu make a 4 wheel drive truck???.what is the one mitsubishi makes??..and what does those trucks usually cost?.. anyone know?

2. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunately, Isuzu does not make a 4wd in its cabover lineup. I run a 2004 NPR diesel at the publishing company I work for full-time, and it is an awesome truck. We got it just before Christmas. It has a 14 foot Supreme box on the back, and so far we are getting about 12 mpg. This bests our old Chevy gasser 1 ton box truck that got only 8 mpg. To the Isuzu's credit, it is 1,000 lbs heavier than the Chevy was, plus it is geared lower (5.30 rear end vs. 4.10 for the Chevy). So, that goes to show that diesels get better mileage. If you have your heart set on at 4x4, you will have to go the Mitsu route. They are fine trucks, and I'm sure you will be happy with one of them. We demoed a Mitsu and liked it, but we got more with the Isuzu for the price. Also, the Isuzu diesel has more power with the auto trans than the Mitsu offers. (175 hp 347 ft lb. of torque vs. 145 hp 275 ft lb for the Mitsu) I could tell a pretty good difference between the two after driving them back to back. Best of luck.

3. LandMatters

LandMatters LawnSite Member

check out a place in NY. I think they've still got a couple of used 4x4 Mitsu's as well as new ones. If I had a to have trucks for plowing, I'd probably go with one of these guys. You will have great vision of the road and plow. It also has a turning radius that is smaller than a ford ranger

www.tristatediesel.com

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

You need to look close at what you "think" you need and what you are going to use it for on an overall ,all round truck. I have a Mitisu, email me if you want, I can help you define your needs.

Gene

5. Ol Dull Blade

from wise,VA

i mostly need a truck for transporting my mowers..i dont really do much snow plowing..but around here i have to use 4 wheel drive in some places ...that's why im kinda interested in a mitisu..whats a new one cost?..with a 14 foot bed?.. do they get good gas mileage? just give me kinda idea of what a truck like that is gonna cost?..

6. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard an Isuzu with weight on the bed will plow very well. I cant remember the post, but search plow site. In VA, this should work well.

7. gene gls

To get a good idea of price for a Mitsu FG 4X4, you need to speak with a local Mitsu dealer. Prices very a lot, especially on componet's.I looked at a Mitsu 4X4 set up with a 9' plow and a 12' dump body that was mounted behind a bacpac. Around here they put bacpacs behind the cab, over the transfer case, to keep the body lower to the ground. It listed for $48,000. Thats a big price if you don't need the 4X4 on a regular basis.Also ,the cab sets high, 2or3 steps up to get in.I would recommend getting a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck for plowing.

Gene

8. Ol Dull Blade

from wise,VA

I will have to check around ..trucks..!!!!!!!...i may juts have to go with a 2 wheel drive for that price ..anything over 30,000 is just to much to spend for me ...thanks for all the advise !!!!!!!!!!!!

9. gene gls

You will have to go with a used truck if you want to stay under $30,000. The truck in my avatar pic I bought as a left over,1 year old short w/b cab-chasie $19,900,( list for $26,000 new)custom dump body $5,400, 8' Meyer plow $3400, Down Easter 1.5 yrd Stainless sander $4,000.

Gene

10. Ol Dull Blade

from wise,VA

I will have to look around ..i plan on purchasin one ..probably after this mowing season ..maybe i can find a decent used one ...Thanks for the prices..! and the help