Isuzu Diesel pups

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by RedWolf, May 17, 2005.

1. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Anyone out there have a Isuzu Diesel pup.If so do you have pics.

2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you talking about an Isuzu cabover or an Isuzu diesel pickup? Those pickups have like 50 hp or so, I can't imagine trying to pull a trailer with one.

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

We used to have a '85 Isuzu Pup gasser. Got 32 mpg but top speed was 60 mph. Only 95 hp. Sold it back in October because it was unsafe to drive on the Interstate, because it wouldn't keep up with the traffic.

I have a buddy who has a diesel Pup, an '83 I believe, has over 400k on it and still runs, but is getting tired, smokes like a freight train. He gets 37 mpg and top speed of 55.

4. hosejockey2002

Smalltimer, are you sure it had that much horsepower? Beleive it or not, in the mid 80s 95 hp in a small pickup was considered pretty powerful. I had an '86 Mazda gasser with only 80 hp and it would do 90+ mph. Even Toyota's most powerful pickup in 1985 only had 116 hp. I think the little diesels really did only have around 50-60 hp.

5. Smalltimer1

The manual for the gas Pup said it had 95hp. The 3 spd auto really limited the speed on it. Don't know about the diesel though.

6. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

My buddy works for Isuzu and told me that the diesel pup diesel had 85 hp.i pulled my 10 foot trailer with it doing 65 without any trouble.But now it sits in my back yard because i need to find a cab because it got hit in a parking lot by some kids and they took off.I paid 250 for it and the old man and his son took real good care of it.It has a dump kit and ive hauled a lot of dirt with it.i went to do a break job on it and the parts i got were to small.Come to find out Isuzu had a 3/4 ton truck and mine is one of them.I always wondered why it hauled dirt so well.

7. hosejockey2002

Yep, if I had actually read the post, I would have seen you were talking about a gasser....:blush:

8. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 1981 model 4-WD diesel pup a few years ago; on the highway I would get 37 Mpg. It would smoke like a freight train but it wouldnÂ’t die. It had a whopping 54-HP but would run 80 Mph plus empty. Sorry no pictures of it.

9. Smalltimer1

My old HS housewiring teacher had a 4x4 gas Pup with a 5 spd. in it. I could pick up the rearend of it by myself. He bought it for $500 when his Suburban got crushed under an oak tree that uprooted and then sold it a year later for $1000.

10. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I've still got an 88 model gasser.5 speed 2.6 liter,16 mpg 4x4.Damn thing will go anywhere.I've pulled boats,mowers,hauled mulch,and it just keeps going.I bought when I was 18 and have had it ever since.I wish they still made them.For the money,it was one hell of a truck.