Isuzu FSR...Am I crazy!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by johnnybravo8802, Dec 19, 2009.

1. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Ok, let me get some opinions. I have been looking into getting another truck in the spring and can't decide which way to go. If I go with a pick-up, I'd like to go with a 1 1/2 ton-2 ton truck. I've heard nothing good about the Ford 6.4 and the Dodge is too expensive-hasn't been out too long(I'm just not going to pay $45,000 for a truck). I use 2 large Scags and would like to shoot for a 3rd. for my final mower. The problem is that I need a truck that's 24-26' long to haul all of that. The NPR/NQR only goes up to 20'. I'd really like to get out of the truck/trailer thing and get into a single truck where everything is all in one place. I have seen some really good prices on the NSR but wonder if I'd look completely ridiculous(More than usual:laugh:)pulling up in that size truck?:confused:I don't think it would look any worse than a Chevy 4500/5500 on a job. I also wonder if I could get the truck on all of my jobs? I'd like to get an open landscaping body for it if I do this. What do you guys think?

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I like you have been studying the Isuzu NQR. Can't you turn a mower to fit them on a 20 body. We are going to add a debris system and 14 ft box if I can find one ?

Only you will know what will work for you.

3. johnnybravo8802

from Ga.

Yea, I may be able to do that and I have thought of that. As far as the FSR, or any truck that size, they may only come in a stick and may use the heck out of some fuel. I may be running into some high maintenance costs as well. I could be barking up the wrong tree-I don't know. I sure wouldn't want to end up with a pig and a poke. I tend to get obsessed before I make a purchase but I just don't want to make the wrong decision.

4. Caterkillar

Caterkillar LawnSite Senior Member

I think all you need is an NPR for maintenance. I have an FRR and NPRs, but the FRR is overkill for maintenance. An 20' NPR will easily hold two Tigers. The maintenance costs really are not that bad. We do all of our own maintenance and tire changes, so it is not any more than any other type of diesel truck. I think they all come in auto or manual. Figure on 10-12mpg.

Why would you want a third mower on one crew?

I would buy a used Isuzu.

5. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I think you should look at a Freightliner FL-50 or FL-70. They seem to be pretty good medium duty trucks,and not that pricey.

6. johnnybravo8802

from Ga.

Yea, you're probably right. I was thinking of a third mower because I want to keep my business small and down to only one truck. I mow some really large properties and was wanting to get all of my equipment on one truck. However, I can't come pulling up in all of my drives in a moving van, either.:dizzy:I may have to step back and go with a truck and two mowers. I looked at a used Isuzu yesterday with an 18' box and it would be perfect. Of course, as my luck would have it, they can't finance like I need. This was an 07' with diesel, side door, auto, power doors/locks, all new tires, 47,000 miles, for $22,500. That is a great deal!!!!!!!:clapping:Naturally, they couldn't make it work financially and I don't have any money saved yet.:cry:

7. Caterkillar

Caterkillar LawnSite Senior Member

I think you can do better than that. Look in ATL for a used truck on craigslist. I think you could get a low mileage 02-04 for 10-12k. Not as sexy as the new ones, but I wouldn't want to spend 22k for a work truck that is just going to get the snot beat out of it.

I bought an '01 NPR gasser with a burrito box w/ 65k miles for $6500 earlier this year when I started another crew.

8. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Look at the isuzu NQR.

9. johnnybravo8802

from Ga.

I've had an Isuzu NPR with a 16' box in the past. The problem is that the WB of the Isuzu won't allow more than 20', including the dovetail-this is for the NPR and the NQR. I think you have to step up in truck size to get a 24' bed. I was told that maintenance costs really climb when you do that.

10. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I am curious why you say they couldnt finance the Isuzu you found? When I was truck shopping, it didnt matter what kind of truck it was to the credit union I went thru. Although the price had to be within the blue book loan value for the truck. You can definitely find a better truck for that kind of money.