isuzu npr box truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by clay duncan, Jan 28, 2005.

1. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i am getting ready to buy an isuzu npr truck and cannot decide between a manual or an automatic transmission. it seems like 99% are autos. do the auto trannys hold up pretty well?. is the manual a better choice?. i found a 14ft. box truck with dovetail and ramp for $18700. it is an auto with 71000 miles. any advice would be appreciated.

2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

auto would be better i think i do prefer an auto when towing or hauling a heavy load.you know come to think of it i have never seen a NPR or similar type with a manual transmission. is there really such a thing?

3. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

yes, but they seem to be rare. from what i understand the manuals are mated to a less horsepower engine for some reason. i was just thinking that a clutch would be cheaper to replace than an auto tranny.

4. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

YOu are correct. The manual NPRs rating is 145hp and 275 ft lb of torque, while the auto is 175hp and 347 ft lb of torque. That was for the 2004 model year. I have one of those at work (auto) and it is a helluva little truck. Wouldn't trade it for anything. For 2005, they are offering more powerful engines. Check out their website for more info.

5. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

I found the auto much nicer to drive. I do not have many miles to comment on longetivity.

Scott

2005_0124Image0057.JPG

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Marion is all hills, I would not even thing of driving a clutch around there.
    2 years ago we bought a PT Cruiser with a manual tranny. At the time my wife was working from home and we just drove the car a little bit. New job was working in Charlotte and driving down I-77 each day. Bye-bye manual, They are a pain to drive in traffic or in a hilly area. Yes they are a little cheaper to fix(clutch) but you will be doing it more often.

7. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

You can't go wrong with an NPR. I've had mine for over 2 years and would have nothing less. I've had no trouble at all out of mine. A buddy of mine reciently sold his 2 and bought 2 more new ones. The old NPR had 380K+ and were daily workers when traded off.

The box is also the way to go, it keeps the equipment safe and secure. No need to lock everything on the trailor doun. Just pull doun the door and lock it. The turning radius is great. Don't let the small hp numbers fool you, it'll run 60 MPH all day long fully loaded. BTW they come from the factory with goveners set to about 65

A few drawbacks though,,,,,,,,,,The ramp is steep and high (Compaired to a trailor) DON"T RUN OFF THE RAMPS! Also being a box truck you have to remove equipment to fill them up.

Also I'm an old man that loves coffee on the job,,,,,,,,,,,,,so we added a porta john to the truck. Biggest time saver for the money ever.

Allen

8. KillaWhale

KillaWhale LawnSite Member

Local landscape supply co. has an NPR 4dr with flat bed. Hauls rock and other stuff, also towing trailer with same junk 200-300mi a day without a problem. He says he would not trade it for anything. Do any of you have a SLT truck? Satisfied? What option on it? Customer service?

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Hey Allen, any chance you have any photos of your truck? I'm especially interested in the ramp set up. If you don't have any pics, could you tell us more about the ramp then? Custom? Factory installed? Length? Lift assist?

Thanks.

10. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

The only tranny failures I've seen were due to overloading and never servicing. Keep the filter changed. On the fleet i maintained I changed the tranny filter every other oil change. Every second filter change I dropped the old fluid out and replaced it. Never a problem.