Isuzu NPR HD Diesel or 4x4 Ford Dually Deisal

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kelly Lawn, Feb 24, 2007.

1. kelly Lawn

kelly Lawn LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,

My question is can I get away with out having 4 wheel drive. My lawn and landscaping company is in Anchorage Alaska and I was considering buying a 2002 Isuzu NPR HD Diesel Crew Cab to pull my 12' 14000# GVW dump trailer to landscape with. The truck I am looking at cost about $22,000 and has 107k miles. I like the versatility, turning radius, reliability and gas mileage of the Isuzu but I am not sure if I can get away with out having 4 wheel drive. If I need 4-wheel drive I guess I will have to go with a dually pick up. I won't be using the truck in the winter, just for summer job sites.
    Thanks for any advise!

Colby

2. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

If you tthink you need four wheel drive, dont settle without it, you will regret it later.

As to wether you need it or not. you will have to decide that.

Just think about the situations you will be in and decide what you will need.

3. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

you might want to check opinions on whether the isuzu will tow the 14,000# trailer. they haven't gotten great revues for their towing abilities. if you do a search it has been asked on here before.
    good luck

4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

With the weight you are going to be towing I would go with the Ford. The Isuzu don't have the power that the Ford does for towing. If you are just hauling mulch, plants, etc. and not heavy equipment get the Isuzu.

5. kelly Lawn

kelly Lawn LawnSite Member

That helps some. I will consider the towing capabilities of the Isuzu and probably go wiht the 4X4 because those job sites can get pretty muddy at times. I can only imagine how PIST I would be if i were stuck all day instead of working.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Agreed, I can't get straight answers out of the manufacturers on that. Notice they never list it on their websites. Kinda frustrating as we have a 12k dump trailer to tow and would like to go with a either an isuzu and/or mitsubishi.

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would much rather have an Isuzu over a domestic truck... I guess it all comes down to your situation though. I think the Isuzu's are more geared for work, tougher trucks, easier to work in. If it has to be a 4x4 it has to be a 4x4 though. It sounds like a pretty fair deal on the isuzu for it being a crew cab.

8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an NPR Isuzu. Its a good truck to pull a 16' box trailer with 6-7000 lbs cargo, it gets about 13 mpg ave (Diesel). It will never win any acceleration records, but I'm not trying. It is dependable, and I cant remember any repairs other than a cracked windshield and a deer impact on the bumper. The only thing that sometimes gets me mad is that in the mud it sinks(front end) like Rosie Odonald's rear end into a couch. If you have mud buy the 4X4.

9. Chadevergreen

Chadevergreen LawnSite Member

I have isuzu NQR's and NPR HD's and nothing beats them if you are putting things on or in them but for towing..... the powerstrokes rule. Don't let anyone talk you into the 5500 GMC Duramax it doen't touch the powrsroke in power and the mileage is terrible, I think mine gets around 8mpg powerstroke gets about 16mpg but the gear ratio's are different.

10. Andover Landscape Co.

Andover Landscape Co. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Lexington,KY

I have 2 NPR's a 97' and a 95'. The 97 has a 9' plow blade (automatic) the 95' is manual 5 speed.
    These are great trucks. As far as hauling? This is best done with a goose-neck trailer. I haul a Bobcat 773 via goose-neck trailer...

P.S. Both are 3.9l diesel

Isuzu npr.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016