1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Isuzu NPR question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grasscutter24, Jan 20, 2014.

1. grasscutter24

grasscutter24 LawnSite Member

After reading through some old/ current threads already, it seems like getting an NPR is a pretty good option. I am in a tough spot right now with my current truck (F350 6.4 Diesel) it has been in and out of the shop non-stop. Needed a rebuilt engine at 50k miles. I went with the diesel because I wanted reliability. After all the problems with this truck I have had enough.

I called some Isuzu dealers and got different answers to my question. I wanted to get an NPR, but I need to fit (2) 72" mowers and (1) 60". One gentleman I spoke with said 14ft. flat w/ a 4ft. dove was the max I SHOULD go because of the issue of bottoming out on steep driveways (I have a few). Another guy said I could get 18ft. flat with 4ft. dove and it shouldn't be a problem? To those that have an NPR, do you fit 3 ZTRs like mine or is getting a 18ft flat a bad idea?

2. grasscutter24

And I need it to be a crewcab

3. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude that thing is going to be 100 feet long!!! But seriously, you'll have to measure your riders and see the length. I carry two laser zs, a 21" and a 36" and it's pretty packed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

What size was your F350.:waving:

5. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

If you already have a trailer set up that you are using and like then maybe its just time for a new truck. The Isuzu trucks have their benefits but they are pricey and are very sparse . My biggest pet pev with them are the lack of safety features they have. No air airbags or anything , only a seatbelt. Over seas they have all the the safety equipment in them but the models they sell here in the US do not.

6. grasscutter24

I am more worried about the back end bottoming out. The last thing I need is an expensive repair to a driveway!

7. grasscutter24

Hey Marek thanks for the reply. I have been going back and forth about NPR vs. another truck (never another Ford btw). I do have a 24ft enclosed trailer that I have been using. However, I like the thought of doing without the trailer for maintenance purposes (brakes, new tires every year, brake lights, etc.) I didn't know about the lack of safety features in them. Do you have a preference on trucks?

8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

You could look into one of the super lawn trucks with the two-piece ramp it doesn't have to dovetail.

9. grasscutter24

Thanks Brandon. I will check it out.

10. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Park on the street
    Posted via Mobile Device