Isuzu NPR vs. Chevrolet w3500

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ztrguy, Dec 15, 2003.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

If you had the choice between the Isuzu NPR vs. Chevrolet w3500, which would you choose? And why?

From the information I've received it seems that the two are pretty much identical. They both have the same wheel base choices (109, 132.5, 150). Both Diesel engines come w/ a 3 year/unlimited mileage warranty. What does everyone think?

Thanks

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

More like absolutely identical. Just different badges. GM and Isuzu have a long-standing business partnership. In fact, the famous Duramax diesel is actually built in the Isuzu engine plant.

I would make the decision based on the dealership...which is closest to you, who can give you better service, etc.

I would buy from the dealer that deals primarily in trucks, they will probably have more parts/filters, etc in stock and have more knowledgeable technicians. In large cities many "heavy truck" dealers keep much later hours in service and parts, so if the deals are comparable I would favor the dealer with the best overall package of service, etc.

Of course you could have the truck serviced/warranteed wherever, but its always best to stick with the selling dealer.

I have a Mitsubishi-Fuso truck (by the way they are excellent). Bought new. My dealer is open until midnight Monday-Friday so it really helps not to have to interrupt a workday to drop truck off for service intervals. I do my own work now that warranty has expired, but the extended hours were a big plus.

KB

3. ztrguy

from NE FL

Albemarle Lawn,

Thanks a lot for replying. I really appreciate you taking the time to do so. I did more researching on both vehicles and you're right...they're more like absolutely identical. And thanks for the tip about different dealer hours. I checked into it and have found a dealer that's open til midnight M-F. That would help out a lot if I had any problems with the truck. I didn't think about having any problems with a new vehicle, but if something happened I would really enjoy that M-F open til midnight. I usually work until 6:00 pm, so that would help out a lot. That specific dealer is an Isuzu dealer. I can get a really sweet deal on a new Chevrolet though.....I'll look into their hours as well. I can't wait to get either one. I'm tired of the truck and trailer setup. :cry: Thanks again!!!

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

See if the isuzu dealer will work on the Chevy...id even out right ask him if he would do waranty work on the Chevy...you never know til you ask.

5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Ohhh...you will be SO glad to get away from a truck/trailer combo! We did it the first of last season. What a difference! Check here for our newest setup.

6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

The Chevy and Isuzu N series are twins. Even the OEM parts have both Isuzu and GM part numbers on them. They ar egood trucks. We have 5 and just ordered a sixth. The only downfall I have encountered is wear on front tires. They seem to wear faster than I think they should. We just recently went to having the front tires computer balanced and it seems to make a difference. Rotate tires every other oil change, change the trans filter (spin on) every oil change, keep the chassis lubed, tighten the u-bolts that secure the box to the frame on a regular basis and have fun!

7. Albemarle Lawn

Sam's club offers 50,000 mile warranty on the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A tire. Even for commercial use.

I put them on my Mitsubishi-Fuso 245-70 R16 size. I know many of the Isuzu trucks come with 19" wheels so they may or may not have that size.

KB

8. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

The NPR Diesel, the NPR Gas, and the NPR HD Diesel all come with 16" wheels. The NPR HD Gas and the NQR all come with 19.5" wheels. This info comes directly from Isuzu's 2003 product brochure.

9. ztrguy

from NE FL

Thanks for all the posts. I plan on putting around 15,000 miles per season on the Isuzu or Chevrolet. How long do you think it will hold up if I take care of it good and do regular maintenance on it?

10. Albemarle Lawn

Based on what I have seen for sale used and in general, you can expect 500,000 miles chassis, 300,000 miles diesel engine, and 175,000 miles gas engine from a well maintained example.

The gassers will almost universally pop first, but hey, its just a Chevy 350 and you can buy a brand new Vortec 350 with heads for around $2000 from GM. Or, bolt in the GM Performance parts 383 HT (heavy-towing) motor for about $3800, add dual exhaust and a chip, and have an NPR the really scoots.

BTW if you go gas keep in mind that you will probably have to use 93 octane, esp in the summer and heavily loaded, or detonation will tear the little motor apart. (you won't hear it because the engine has a knock sensor)

Definitely get the diesel if you will be heavily loaded.

My Mitsubishi-Fuso diesel is a serious road turtle, even unloaded, but what a surprise when you max it out on load, it goes just as fast and the motor just won't complain, it soldiers on, floored, even bogged down to 1800 RPM. You just can't do that to a gas engine...full throttle at 2000 RPM and dropping will kill a gasser fast if you do it every day.

KB