Isuzu NPR

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mad_wrestler, Oct 1, 2006.

1. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

Hey everybody. I was looking at a 1993 Isuzu NPR Diesel (Electromatic). It has 121,223 miles on it, automatic. The truck started right up. All fluids looked good. Underneath there were no leaks at all. The box is in great shape with no major dings or dents. The guy had it stored on his lot and was using it for storage for the past three years. He has only put a little over 4000 miles on it since he bought it. He said that he would like $5000 for it. What do you guys think. I am wanting to move to an NPR for next season. Thanks in advance.

2. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

you know with the over 40 thousand members here, someone has to be running these trucks and has to know something about them. I started a thread over a week ago asking for advise and what I should know about these isuzu trucks and really didn't get any good advise at all. I really would like to know what kind of MPG the diesels and gasoline versions get, and how reliable these trucks are. I really want to get one too....

3. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 1989 Isuzu Npr with 40,000 miles with a flatbed dump about 2 months ago and so far we love it. It has a great turning radius and i think it has pretty good power, I personally drive it when ever i get a chance, I like the power and and it is sort of fun to drive. It is easy to back up and seems to be good on fuel so far. I would say go for it 5 grand seems like a pretty good price.

4. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 95 with 250K miles on it. I bought spring of 05 and have done some basic maint. new alternator, welded intake tube, broken clutch cable. Need to do coolant hoses, gear oils, etc. Drive it every day and love it. I also tow my CTL and excavator on a regular basis. I don't get there fast, but it get's there. And it is a diesel. I don't keep track of the mileage since it doesn't matter. I need it for work and that is the price you pay.

5. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry about that mulitiple post guys, not sure what happened.

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

some of the best trucks made as long as you buy the diesel. General Motors owns a large share of Isuzu and put the 350 gas engine in some of them. I know because I have one. I had a diesel before and wish I had it back. expect at least 250,000 to 400,000 miles on your diesel before it needs major repair. good buy at only 5,000 dollars. as stated it will turn on a dime and has a extra large cab.

7. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Had a '93 w 12' grainbody w/ barn doors bought with almost the same amount of miles. Except for brakes and fluid changes, it was trouble free for the 5 years I had it. Most reliable truck I ever owned. Definately not the fastest trucks out there, but it pulled an 18' lawn trailer or 10 yds. of mulch fine. Sold my business 4 years ago, looking to get back in next year, would definately buy another. Have seen a few with plows on them, but not sure I'd go there.

8. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies thus far! Friday I should hear something from the seller. He was fixing the A/C, tie rod ends, and rear brakes. Keep the advice, opinions and suggestions coming though. Thanks a lot!

9. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I am considering the Gas version myself over the diesel - if I bought a new one that is - because the Diesel version is only supposed to get 2 MPG better according to the dealer I have spoke with and Diesel costs WAY more than regular unleaded gas right now. Also the newer gas versions of this truck have the 300 horsepower Chevy 6.0 V-8 engine in them, not the older 5.7 V-8. The 6.0 is one of the newer Chevy V-8's and these new engines are SMOOTH and powerful and FAR FAR FAR better than the old 350. The diesels are expensive to get parts for or service when they do break, and looking at alot of the ad's for these trucks they do seem to have some trouble as the miles rack up on them. You could buy 2 gas replacement engines or transmissions for the price of one diesel or the diesel versions tranny.

I am also concerned about getting a diesel due to the new fuel that is supposed to be mandated next year. The word on the streets is new diesel truck prices will go WAY up over current prices to pay for all the new emmisions stuff these trucks will have to have. I am thinking the fuel cost itself may go up too....

10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Did you get it? If has been maintained you should be good to go.