Isuzu NPR

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Luke Reedy, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Luke Reedy

Luke Reedy LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions concerning buying an Isuzu NPR brand new. We all know that buying regular trucks you can negotiate the dealers down way off of sticker price. For those of you that have bought Isuzu or Fuso brand new, were you able to talk the dealers down on price when purchasing new? If so, what kind of deal did you get i.e sticker-final price? What kind of percentage is possible to get them down off of sticker price? Even if you bought the truck from Super Lawn Trucks, how did neqotiations go?
  2. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Super Lawn told me the price is what it is , no discount unless you do multiple trucks. I can understand thier point , none of us want to discount our work yet we all expect to get a discount when buying something. Neely and Coble is a great dealer to work with in Nashville Tn , price wont give you the same sticker shock.
  3. Luke Reedy

With that being said, I wonder if it would be worth it to buy the truck itself local, and beat them down on price. Then go to SLT and get them to do all the custom stuff. I just do not know if they are discounting the trucks to get the custom work or if they are charging sticker and getting paid on the custom side as well. I don't mind paying fair prices, but at the same time I definitely do not want to way overpay. Just wish I could find out the markup on the trucks at the dealership.
  4. thunderthud

thunderthud LawnSite Member

My issue with SLT is they appear to be a business consulting company masquerading as a truck body manufacturer.

In my limited experience with them I found them to be lacking in knowledge of trucks, how they go together and dealing with people who know about trucks. I found it frustrating to know more about the process of ordering a truck and body than they did. I would have liked to use their ramp system but in the end, they dropped the ball with me. They are really good at blast marketing, and terrible at actually selling what the customer needs other than their A.B. or C package.

Perhaps I just had a bad experience; I believe they are a sponsor here, so they do contribute to our use of the forum so I appreciate that from them.

They seem to be nice people, I just think they have a stiff model they must force all customers to accept. They have a niche product that helps sell the one on one consulting side of their business.

The truck can be bought with a body for far less than the SLT price. The issue is the ramp or rail gate you need to get equipment off and on the truck. There are several options available that will work like the SLT system that can be bought of fabricated locally.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  5. Thanksman

Thanksman LawnSite Platinum Member

i owned an isuzu years ago... worst truck i had ever owned. body rot mechanical issues. not trying to put a damper on things for ya. wish you best of luck.
  6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i see yur from luling. have you checked out the trucks at Leson Chevy in Harvey? they had a few nice NPR style trucks on the lot. i might stop over and check them out one day this week.
    parrotheadtn likes this.
  7. Luke Reedy

When I went about 4 mos. ago they had about 3 on the lot. It seemed like it was going to be a lot of work to get info out of the salesman. So I didn't stick around. Just luck off the draw who you get as a salesman if you don't know much yourself. lol
  8. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

When we were looking in them I talked to alot of people about the Isuzu 's most will swear by them and others from up north seem to have wiring problems due to the road salt. For us it came down to over all cost and use. We dont get a ton of snow here but it helps pay the bills , so we went with another truck with plow and enclosed trailer that carries everything the crew could need.For the same price as the enclosed truck I priced we were able to do a new truck a zero percent a new enclosed trailer and new plow for a unit that could work year round,providing we get snow, where a Isuzu would have sat all winter. One other big turn off to me is thier safety.
    I think Tony Bass could teach alot of guys how to be more efficent with there time and money. The things he talks about on cost savings with fewer stops hits the nail right on the head. Its also something that we have been doing for years.
    I take it you are looking for an enclosed truck ? Search truck also .
  9. Luke Reedy

I have looked at truckpaper but haven't really seen anything that would be a great deal. I'm considering new because I can get everything I want at a one stop shop. When you were looking, were you trying to negotiate a price, or were you in the beginning stages of making a decision? If trying to negotiate, how willing were they about coming off of sticker and entertaining offers? I just don't want to leave anything on the table when buying whatever I decide.
  10. twward

twward LawnSite Member

Try contacting some of the Isuzu and Fuso dealers in south Florida. You see the cab forward trucks EVERYWHERE down here. When you ride by the dealers, alot of the trucks already have bodies installed and ready to go. Landscaping is a huge portion of their truck sales so the salesmen should be alot more knowledgeable. I have been to a few dealers in West Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale. Very informative visits.

I know this is along way from you, but a phone call can save you alot of time and headache. Hope this helps.