Isuzu truck deal....to good to be true?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grassmasterswilson, Apr 17, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

2006 Isuzu can over motor
    150,000 miles on chassis
    Brand new motor, transmission, and 14' bed 2' dovetail bed with tool box on top(says bed was $9000)
    6.0 liter 326 hp motor
    New seats and not sure what else new inside.
    Body looks clean from pics.
    Single gate with spring lifts.

18,000 dollars

Guy sounds like typical shady car dealer. Couldn't send pics am guaranteed if I can I would by it. I could stand to keep chatting and told him id get back. So is this a steal? What would be a good purchase price?

Guy is 4-5 hours away and I need as much info as possible
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

I didn't realize that truck had a new motor and transmission. Does it have any warranty on the new parts?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I'd make sure that he has proof that all of that stuff was done before you even consider it.

4. grassmasterswilson

from nc

New motor and tranny. Both under warranty. This guy came off as your typical used car salesman. Wouldn't send me any pics but said it was the cleanest around. He didn't think I'd leave without it once I saw it.

Just chatted away for a while about how he used to mow lawns and has some 50+ trucks to guys like me.

I might try to go look at it but would like to get some close up pics and maybe agree on a price before going. If it is what he says it is.

5. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of reputation does the dealer have?

6. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Guy wont send you pics but wants you to drive 4-5 hours to look at it. Sounds strange. What is his excuse for not sending the pics. Seems like every one has access to cell phone with camera these days

7. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

I agree, the fact that he won't send any pics definitely raises a red flag.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. grassmasterswilson

from nc

Yeah he's Old guy who doesn't do computers or cell phones. He called me twice cause my number showed up on his phone?!?

Says all he does is sell trucks. Haha

Maybe he thinks I'm a tire kicker, but I'd buy it on the spot if it was what he said it was. I'm not doubting him but I need to be confident he could show documents and warranties for the work done. I don't have a day I can waste driving 8-9 hours.

9. 20/20

20/20 LawnSite Member

Could be shady or could be you'll be a happy isuzu truck owner. I agree it is a long drive but on the other hand...........is it well worth it? How does the guy come off over the phone? Do you know anyone that has bought from him? Looks to me like you're in a pickle dang if ya do, danged if ya don't. Maybe you could find out who the previous owner was and while your at it find out who did the work?

10. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Could you get somebody near the truck to take a look at it for you before you drive there?