1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

It can't be too late to find work, because..

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FredMaxwell, Jun 18, 2005.

1. FredMaxwell

FredMaxwell LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

The grass is still growing and we've had a lot of rain!

Tomorrow I plan on calling everyone in town who owns any type of lot that needs to be mowed down.. Realtors, Commercial business owners and etc..

I put ads all over the local papers and didn't get many calls at all so I figure I need to chase jobs down.

Any advice will be appreciated.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Sometimes you have to go get the work if it doesn't come to you.

You're gonna call them tomorrow, on a Sunday, and Father's Day at that...I'd wait til Monday.
  3. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Remember nobody likes sales calls on Sunday.
  4. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

Sunday HELL! How 'bout at all!
  5. William J. L.

William J. L. LawnSite Member

My favorite spots are industrial areas. Just take a drive and see who needs mowing and drop off a card.
    I've had more success doing this than driving in residential areas
  6. jason1978

jason1978 LawnSite Member

I find that flyers are by far the best advertising source if you are looking to pick up homes in a specific area to try to keep the route as tight as possible.

I know in my area it's not too late at all to get started. I just moved here and have picked up 11 full time customers in only 2 weeks passing out only 800 flyers so far. Today I purchased a gas scooter that will help speed up the flyer process.
  7. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

Someone else told me about scooters being a lot of help. I was passing out flyers yesterday and tried to imagine how that would benefit me and I'm not seeing it.

I go from one house to another at a quick but comfortable pace. I use my best judgement if I should cut through the yards or stay on the walk-ways. Usually I cut through the yards.

What am I missing here with regards to the scooters?
  8. stimpy

stimpy LawnSite Member

tpn tx i think its gas
  9. jason1978

jason1978 LawnSite Member

I ordered a scooter the other day. The reason being is it will cut down on some of the time to pass out flyers and also it will take significantly less energy in the hot sun to pass them out. I'm waiting on the scooter still, but it's said to go 25 mph. I know sometimes when I'm passing out flyers walking I can go upwards of 2 mins without getting a flyer out when there is a large gap in houses.