It could happen to you!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jdkatz, May 24, 2006.

1. jdkatz

jdkatz LawnSite Member

So yesterday I'm mowing my Church grounds, its my last cut of the day and there are lots of people out and about. I leave my keys in the ignition, like I normally do and the unthinkable happened, yep someone stole my truck and lawn trailer. So the tip of the day is keep your keys with you. I was pretty dumb. The saddest part is my gen lib ins. don't cover theft and I owe 2 more yrs on the equip. Its my only job and my wife don't work. I just started in the biz and am now soooooo crushed. As I am at a loss if anyone knows anything about a theft in Jacksonille FL please email me dankatz32@yahoo.com

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

that is so aweful but there are people out there like that but man i really feel for you. and at a church of all places

3. jdkatz

jdkatz LawnSite Member

Thanks, it does stink, the officer said when they catch the offender he will also be charged with a hate crime because the theft occured on church grounds along with grand theft, my clients are pretty understanding but I have about a week before I will have to restart as a part time gig out of my wifes car with a push mower and line trimmer.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

God man my heart goes out to you...really i can't even begin to imagine.

5. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

that sucks but if you called the cops asap could they not spot your truck and trailer easily if they make a half ass effort? there is so fast a truck and trailer can go and so many places to hide one easily

reason number 5000 why i would never take a loan out for a business but i guess some people dont have that much cash

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

ya cant trust them southern church people! lol!

why dont your ins cover theft? everyone elses does.

7. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

Does your finance company not require full coverage on a vehicle with a loan? You should be covered. Even if you are, your privacy has been invaded. Good luck, that is a terribly empty and helpless feeling.

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

So you're saying if you paid cash for everything it's somehow better when it's stolen??? :confused: If you have a loan or credit line...you could go replace the stuff the same day. If you're one of those cash-only, "I don't need no stinkin' credit" types then better hope you got some more cash handy :laugh:

9. jdkatz

jdkatz LawnSite Member

well It took the police almost 30 minutes to get there.I live in a big city also so there are lots of places to go, my insurance is general liability,covers my screw ups but not theft. My truck was paid for, just an old 79 silverado, I'm just starting and didn't figure some disrespectfull person would do this. Someone I go to church with did see my truck about 20 minutes after it went missing, so i have a general area, I'm gonna check out getting a hitch for my car an a small lite weight trailer. A friend of mine gave me an old lawn tractor mower, I also traded an air compressor for a stihl hedge trimmer, just gotta come up with an edger, I have access to a blower, so hopefully I'll be back on my feet in a couple of days

10. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck with everything. That sucks. I was just robbed to, not my truck, my business checking accounts.