1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

It Don't Get No Better Than That

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassGuzzler, May 5, 2005.

1. GrassGuzzler

GrassGuzzler LawnSite Member
    from N.E. OK

With all the posts about PITA's and other problems we run into, maybe we ought to try one about some of the good parts of the green industry. For instance:

"Cloud cover, it don't get no better than that"

"Showing up to mow a yard and finding several trees with low-hanging branches have been removed, priceless"

Anyone else got one?
  2. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Showing up to mow a yard, and finding the customer already cut it himself 2 days prior, but says go ahead and run it over anyways. (Happened twice this year already with 2 different people, lol).

Having a customer give you more than you quoted for a job becuase you did such a good job.
  3. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Getting that ice cold drink on a hot summer day from that little old lady of the hot young lady
    Or that nice tip for a job well done !!!! The sweet smell of grass after a hard days work , Doing what you love day in day out , Seeing you work every day when you pass it , Having people tell you about it when have a nice dinner out and you don't eve know them and it goes on and on :)
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Mowing until Twilight on a large commercial property after busting butt all day, when the sun has faded, there's a cool breeze with the ball game on the radio and kids practicing little league across the street.

Right along the lines of a completely cloudy day.

Nothing better than clouds and 65 for good mowing weather.
  5. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

Driving by a commercial resident that you were underbid by and notice scalps and 21" burns.
  6. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Talking to a potential customer and finding out that he already has his lawn done by one of the big guys who has been around since you were in college. You look around and it looks like ****. Before you can figure out what would be the right thing to say, the potential customer walks you around the yard, pointing out all the shoddy work. You sign him up on the spot, for more than the other guy was charging and feel pretty damn good about how you stack up to the "competition".

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Taking the time to verbaly teach a person about how to fix the drip system while working right next door to them and going and showing them what to get and what to do about 15 minutes,thinking how you shouldent take free time to do that kinda thing.
    then a week or so later she hands you a nice card thanking you with a $50.00 tip in it!happened to me yesterday!
    Seeing a huge square of dirt and debri turn into a beutifull garden that can be enjoyed for years to come.
    Getting complements on your work
    having a client make you lunch when your starved but refuse the offer and they make it for you anyway.
    Having a client hand you the coldest beer youv'e ever had at the end of a hot summer day of work.
    Starting with an idea in your head and making it a reality with your own two hands

I could go on for a long time why I love what I do.
  8. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Food always gets me, I have one woman that said, "oh I'm sure your running ragged and probably haven't had time to eat yet, I'll fix you something" I answer with, no, no its ok, but she comes back with a fresh chicken sandwich. She has also been known to bring out some fresh, homemade, chocolate chip cookies when I plow her driveway.Another favorite is ending the day at a friends place to do a cut, he jumps on the mower and says go sit down, have a cold one.
  9. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

You take a beer while on the job nice work
  10. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

A whole month with no flat tires