It finally happened close to home

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

My next door neighbor called the other day and said "thanks for sending this years service agreement, but we decided to go with someone else. They have a cheaper rate." well, being their neighbor, I know exactly who they called. yep, you got it.....someone came through the neighborhood with a "$20 per cut" flyer. I wouldn't touch her lawn for less than $40 per cut. AND she lives next door (no mobilization costs for me).

To top it all off, they are friends with the people across the street whom I also mow for. Just waiting for them to call and cancel so they can go with Johnny "$20" Scrubbynuts.

Both customers said they were 100% satisfied at the end of last year.
  2. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape LawnSite Senior Member

now that is a funny name. sorry to hear about your loss but its probably for the better
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

When the neighbor comes begging back raise the price a couple of dollars.
  4. lawn8646

lawn8646 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Sorry for the bad news.

May be just me but I like my neighbors to much that I do not do any buisness on my block just out of the fear that your situation would happen to me and upset a otherwise happy block.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They'll probably call back,... don't sweat it. This has happened to everyone who has been in it awhile. You know as well as I, that that cannot be done (feasibally) for 20 bucks. Only a matter of time, and this person will "fall off".
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I hope you're lawn looks excellent just to show what can be done. Rub it in, it'll be fun.
  7. Expert Lawns

Tiedman, dont' worry, I have already decided on a $10 fee for them to be squeezed back into the schedule. (if it happens)

Lawn8646, I had thought about that at first when they approached me at the begining of last year. At that time I didnt' personally know them. They were just the "drive by and wave" type neighbors. After dealing with them in a business sense, we got to know each other better. I have no hard feelings towards them. I guess it is just upsetting. They were happy with the services, but it makes me feel like I did something wrong.

Runner, you're right. When the scrubs come through and tear their lawn to shreds, then they look over at my nice, green, flush lawn.......hopefully they smack themselves on the forehead and say DOH! (this lawn has lots of wet spots in the back that are hard to see, and a mower could easily get stuck in....and not to mention multiple spots that could be easily scalped. I have a feeling these guys are either rookies or very inexperienced and won't realize it. That $20 they're making could go to restoring the turf when they ruin it)

Tharrell, that's my exact attitude.
  8. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

Johnny "$20" Scrubbynuts :) LOL !

Sorry about your mis fortune but that name had me laughing

I think we found the new catchphrase for scrubs!!
  9. Expert Lawns

Had to find humor in it somewhere!
  10. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

My advice to you is this: Don't take it personal its business....I know it gets really frusterating sometimes but thats the name of the game.