It Finally Happened To Me!!!

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES, Jul 18, 2006.

1. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

I GET UP THIS MORNING TO FIND A THREE FOOT TALL ENEMY OF THE FISH POND. YEP, THE GREAT BLUE HERON. HE WAS SCOPING OUT MY FISH LIKE A BIG GUY AT A BUFFET. I HAD TO GO TO WORK, SO I COULD NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT BUT TRY TO SCARE HIM AWAY. WELL, WHEN I GOT HOME TODAY I SCARED HIM OFF BY PULLING INTO THE DRIVE. NEEDLESS TO SAY HE HAD A NICE FEAST OF ABOUT 12 FISH. :cry: TWO REALLY GOOD SIZE KOI. I WAS SO PISSED. YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN ME GOING THROUGH MY CLOSET PULLING OUT THE OLE 12GA. I WAS HELL BENT ON SHOOTING THAT DAMN THING. WELL LUCKILY FOR ME AND FOR THE BIRD, HE NEVER CAME BACK AND I HAD A CHANCE TO COOL OFF. I AM NOT REAL SURE, BUT I WOULD VENTURE TO BET THAT THESE ARE PROTECTED BIRDS. I AM BETTER NOW THAT I HAVE COOLED OFF, BUT ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO KEEP THESE BA%^&* OUT OF MY POND? ANYTHING THAT WILL NOT INFRINGE ON MY ENJOYMENT OF THE POND. I THOUGHT ABOUT A SHOTGUN WITH A MOTION SENSOR, BUT MY LUCK, I WOULD ACCEDENTALLY KILL THE NEIGHBORS DOG. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Yes they are a protected bird and there is a huge fine if you get caught.

P.S.

Please loose the CAPS!!!!:dizzy:

3. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't imagine how fired up I'd be. Like dcondon said. Great Blue Herons are a protected species. If they happen to land in my backyard. They most definitely are not protected from me!!!!!!!!!!!!:gunsfirin
    Did I scare anyone?? :p

Vic

4. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

They taste like chicken!

5. Choctaw Scalper

Choctaw Scalper LawnSite Member

Just say it was trying to peck your eyes out! Self defense.

6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you need a gator..... which will eventually lead to other problems..... but the Heron won't be a problem any more:laugh:

7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I heard of... This is for a tropical type pond... Cut lengths of bamboo, screw or tie them together to make a largish raft sorta thing and put it in the water. It gives the fish somewhere to hide and can actually be a feature by putting a low plant on it. Depending on how big your pond is, make a couple of them so there moving in different directions all the time.
    At least it would be cheap to try out anyway!

Could also get some security mesh (stainless would be best) and cut it to the shape of the pond. Make it so it sits just under the water so cant be seen.

One of my customers, extremely rich guy, lost a couple of grand$ worth of fish once to a herron. He was not happy! Theres a story that goes with that but I will not go further!

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

just shoot the dam thing when it come back for another easy snack. See how protected they are against buckshot

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

There was another thread on this same thing back in the spring, there were alot of legal ideas in it, I cant remember the name of it but............maybe do a search for blue heron and see what pops up. I have to agree....if they got my fish and I couldnt scare him off....then lead poisioning might be in order. Bad thing is he is getting a good easy meal and thats all he understands

wayne

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Protected my butt... if its on my property its MINE.

If your way out in the country and no ones gonna care bout the THUMP then pop the bird. Im not saying break the law but im saying protect whats yours!

Maybe a nice air gun pumped up lots and lots and lots of time with a copperhead pellet would be enough to scare em off. Just imagine yourself going in to eat at a buffet someone built and someone poppin you with a 12ga lol.