It finally happened....

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jun 27, 2007.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Got an email this afternoon and a voice mail from a new customer that one of my guys was at this morning. He left there around 10:00, email is dated at 3:15. Pictures were attached. Apparently they have a flooded basement now. I have called my insurance and have put in a claim, although someone won't contact me until tomorrow morning.

There were many problems and he said we'd have to return. Heads up under a new deck that the deck company was supposed to move, valve not operating also. If this is a mainline or manifold leak, he would have obviously seen it at that time. Even a lateral leak, he would have seen.

I emailed her stating that I should not talk to her via my insurance company. This was a brand new customer, never worked on before, deck work had been done over the sprinklers recently as well.

Any suggestions? I would like to investigate the problem to see if it really was something he did, or if something blew up afterwards. I'm sure from the flooded basement that it had to be running for a long time, which indicates to me a manifold or mainline break, which he would have noticed. I'm just kind of freaking out, not knowing what to do.

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I would have been over there as soon as possible. It may or may not be your problem.;)

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

When these things happen, and somebody is as pissed off as they sounded, and seeing the picture of the large husband, it tends to be best to allow the neutral party to intervene. In my opinion. Most likely it was from the sprinkler system. What broke and why and when, is what I am worried about.

4. irritation

Just you showing up and being concerned will go a long way to getting it resolved honestly.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah it MAY go well, and it MAY completely blow up in my face. They put me on the defensive immediately by stating in the email that they will be seeking damages from me. And the voice mail was very heated as well.

6. irritation

You should be there now!

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

In my company this has only happened once between 3 guys in the past 10 years..The insurance was promptly on point with a estimate and solution..
    The 2 inches of water in the 2500 sq foot basement was cleaned up with in 2 days.....Good luck Dana....It might not be your fault..With the new construction anywhere always makes me question fault right off the bat......
    ::says prayer::

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Just add a pool installation clause to your contract.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, and get into a fight with the pissed off homeowner? What don't you understand about this?

Point in case, I just edited my original response to you because what I originally typed was not appropriate.

She just responded to me by email, and completely understands this aspect of not talking directly. If we screwed up, I will gladly take responsibility.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

O.K., you've taken a few breaths..socked down a few & smoked a big one.
    So? Did your guys screw this up? Or..did the other subs? I don't like using
    my insurance co. unless I did it. Odd the client was such a A..hole" in calling you..had you had differences before? All this crap counts..best of luck Dana, let us know whats what..all can learn from this deal.:dizzy: