It finally happened

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsr2741, Apr 14, 2003.

1. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Last week while working at one of my accounts, this guy pulls up and wants to know if I'll give him a bid. Since he just lived around the corner I said sure be there when I'm done.

Bid the yard for mowing, fertilizer application and weeding his flower beds. Guy say's great your hired, when can you start. I tell him I can get to it the next day.

Show up bright and early, do the work asked for and leave.

Today I get a message from this guy, he starts off by saying what a wonderful job I did. Then he say's "but I've found someone that'll do it for $20." This is the first time in the 3 years I've been doing this where I've gotten an account then got low-balled and lost it.

All I could do was chuckle.
  2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I have had those kind of customers before. They aren't very loyal and are not worth the trouble. He was probably hoping you would say that you will beat those other guys I bet before summers over he will be calling you back. Oh well, I'll bet you already have replaced him with another loyal customer.:)
  3. Arrest that dirty rotten scoundrel!!!!!!!

You have the right to remain voiced.

You have the right to shop for your lawn care.

You have the right to a trustworthy, reliable, quality orientated LCO.

You have a right to be a moron........

You have a right to be cheap.

Just today I gave bids for mulch jobs on the same street 3 houses away from each other.....

One lady almost fainted on my price, the next lady I though was going into shock, then explained to me the $1,800 bids she has gotten in the last week. She signed immediately.

Same cookie cutter house, same cookie cutter landscape design, same cookie cutter mulch bed, same amount of mulch, same price to both ladies.
  4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Glad that you are not upset about it. Some people don't have any loyalty and want the lowest price possible and don't care what it looks like. He will be back don't worry.

5. Dependable Lawncare

Dependable Lawncare LawnSite Member

Well I just lost my first account to a "lowballer" this week also. 14,000 sq foot lawn. Wide open level easy cut. I was doing it for $30 (which I considered a lowball price even in this area). The guy calls me and says the kid across the street will do it for $15!!!

Yikes. With his final bill I enclosed a letter saying no hard feelings and reminded him about things like INSURANCE, LIABILITY IF THE KID HURTS HIMSELF, SHARP BLADES, PROFESSIONAL QUALITY AND EQUIPMENT.

After a few cuts I figure the kid will figure out he's getting the shaft and I'll have my account back. No biggie
  6. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

My guess is this guy hired the service from next door.

That property is done with a 21 inch mower and the guy doesn't trim. But supposedly that service is going out of business because the owner wants to get a full time job. I think this guy was just blowin smoke up the ol wazoo. Go figure.

Anyhow if he does call back and depending on my mood, it'll either be $10 higher or "go pound sand."

Right now I'm leaning toward the sand.

And wouldn't you know it, I did pick up another account to replace him.

LGF, I'm on vacation now, so I try not to get in the arrest mode but I do remember his license plate... Just joking.

It's all good.
  7. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Well that stinks. Sorry you lost your account. It does happen though. Oh well, at least you have a good attitude about it.
    There is one lady I mow for, she is contantly ranting on and on about how much money I charge her, $25 a week. Thats a $100 a month. No biggie. Well, to her it is. This is a tiny yard, but she says the kid across the street will do it for $10, I told her to hire him then. Then I find out that no, she wants me to do it because "your quality is very good, I just dont like your prices. Do you think you could just do my yard for $10?" I told her no.
    Some people. :rolleyes:

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I know those type of people too...they may seem old, but they like to play the will give them a price and then they will say that some other LCO gave her a cheaper price (which I think that they lie just to get you to go lower) and I tell them sorry thats price..and about 95% of the time they will go with me..which makes me think that they were not telling the truth about the other LCO.

I actually had one lady almost start crying about the price so I lowered it by $2.00. Then she was like all cheerful and happy. I was like you little b**ch you. You were playing me.
  9. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Fire up the ztr on his place and drop the deck down as low as she'll go, let out all the air in the tires, and make you a few passes(none in the same direction of course) in the middle of July. That should make you feel very fulfilled.
  10. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

To bad you didnt have him under contract, then at least you could have gotten a month out of him, and maybe wouldnt have bothered to switch after that.