It finally worked!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Apr 18, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I bid a couple of spring clean ups and followed some of your advise and added $100-$150.00 more to the estimate and I got them. ;)
    Do you think that being too low sometimes can be as bad as being too high?

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Being too low is actually worse. Always bid a job to make money .

3. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

More than once I have told potential customers that I am not the cheapest in town but my work is quality.

More than once their response has been, "You get what you pay for"

So yes, I think you can be too low.

On a side note, I have bid jobs too low before by mistake. And, let me tell you when you do that you are just not motivated to do a good job. Every minute you spend there you feel like you are losing money.

On the flip side, when I bid the job so that I am making good money, I just feel better. And, when I feel better I know I do better work. I am not as rushed and I am more enthusiatic about doing quality work.

This may not be the "right" way to do things. You should ALWAYS do good work I know. But, I just can't help what I feel.

So now I always bid to make good money. I am happy and the customer is ALWAYS happy with the results.

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

TN, I know exactly what your talking about. In my first year I know i bid some jobs low only to gain customers, which is typical for most. But this year being in only my second year I've learned my lessons!!!! I will not work just to work and break even or even loose money anymore!

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

You are 100% correct about underbidding and not being enthused about being there. I remember my first month in biz losing my arse BAD on one. A 200 yard that after 19 hours I actually started to walk away from it and tell the client they owed me nothing. But I refused to roll over and finished it after another 6 hours and the client was pleased with my work. Should have been, was a 750 job at least! Man, ever time I think about that one I get po at myself!

6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I think we've all been there. Here's another way of looking at it. Some people pay for college to get edjucated, I consider a poorly bid job as paying for my edjucation. It helps ease the pain.

7. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

It's funny how that works, but I know what you mean. I used to be a frozen/dairy manager at a grocery store. One time I was able to buy bags of generic frozen french fries for pennies on the dollar. Adding our normal retail mark-up of about 30%, they only retailed at like 49 cents a bag or something. Couldn't sell them at all. Raised the price to 99 cents and they sold like hot cakes. I guess people thought there was something wrong with them.

Dave :waving: