it froze

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BSME, Nov 17, 2005.

1. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I know bicmud hasn't started winterizing yet... but I was just about done until today...

got about another 20 apts because the temperature dropped below freezing last night and has stayed there... these are all out of the phone book who are desperately trying to get on somebody's list to get winterized.. I already know of 5 of these customers that have their assembly on the backflow blown already... that's always a nice frantic phone call...

I also know that there has been a mad rush to the supplier today to pick up poppet and bonnets... hopefully they still have some tomorrow morning... I just talked to my old boss and he picked up 50 today and already went through 25

nothing like taking a torch to the copper to get the water moving again when the ice jams up...

this weekend is going to suck

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I've had plenty of those calls the last 2 days as well. It's funny trying to talk to someone over the phone through draining procedures. Especially if we've never been there.

We were fixing a customers outdoor light today, and I looked at the neighbors house. Saw the PVB was leaking so I checked it out. PVC exits the breaker, and the PVC was shattered. Someone had shut it down at the #2 ball valve, but it also had a nice split. The PVB was a Wilkins with the brass bonnet, and it was warped and cracked as well. Nobody home so I told my customer about it.

Keep it coming. We were done doing irrigation work at this time last year. I was in California doing indoor construction up until Thanksgiving. But I'll stay here and work if possible.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

here is the one I posted yesterday in another thread. This is the backside of it where it cracked. This already had a slight crack which is apparent by the mineral deposits where it was leaking. The freezing just made it worse since that was the weak point. Notice the weld to the left that had been repaired before.

broken pvb2.jpg

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, but look at that brass bonnet with the stainless steel cover. Freezing aside, and testcocks excepted, you couldn't trouble that thing with a baseball bat

I am faintly jealous of the DoubleCheck territories, with the buried plumbing that doesn't suffer from overnight freezes, since their scheduling is a lot simpler.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

A very nice 72 degrees here today. :rolleyes:

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I enjoy the cold and snow. I'd like to move farther up in the mountains and get snowed on daily thru the winter.

7. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Morning low yesterday was about 25 and it didn't warm up much above freezing all day. Low this morning was around 18 and clouds rolled in before it could warm up good, so we didn't break much over 40. The ground is still warm, highs all last week were at or near 70. Tomorrow morning will still be below freezing, but high will be over 50 and supposed to see 60+ by Sunday with minor frost at best from now through the 10 day. I can have a small compressor for the weekend and I'm thinking about starting up with the ones who get the most nervous first with a spatering of those who are ready who haven't pre-paid the season so I don't have to actually incur any cost from that "this is the blow out portion escrow". If the long range is right and with the extreme accuracy of weather forcasters, it just has to be.......right? I'm thinking as long as they are off by Christmas everything will be great. I do want to make sure all the blow out revenue is in this year if I can. :)

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Actually so do I. If you know how to layer the cold weather can be quite comfortable. However, when it's 105 outside you can strip down bare arse naked and you're still miserable. :cry: