IT guy new to lawn care business - tell me your pain points!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ronp, Sep 1, 2013.

1. ronp

ronp LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I help out couple of acquaintances with IT problems in their lawn care business. I thought I'd learn more about the problems that other businesses in the industry are facing. So I am here to learn what prevents your business from being more profitable and productive?

Happy to help anyone out with tech problems too! PM me or reply to this thread. Thanks!

2. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

Droughts.
    Insurance.
    Gas.

3. ronp

ronp LawnSite Member

TruSomethingOrOther, what specifically about those things is a pain point?

4. Stars & Stripes Landscaping

Stars & Stripes Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

Droughts : Lawns with no irrigation burn up, meaning you can't work.
    Insurance : Can get expensive and become a hassle.
    Gas : Expensive. Expensive and goes too fast.

On an IT side of things it's going to be only a few things you'll find trouble some. Quite a few guys would like mobile apps to help with bidding & estimating jobs, a few guys want making documents easier.

5. Jallal

Jallal LawnSite Member
    from SoCal

ronp, where in cali are you?

6. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

ronp, assuming you're good at searching, you'll find answers provided to previous tech guys who came here looking for similar information. there have been quite a few.

7. ronp

ronp LawnSite Member

tonygreek: yeah i've searched the forums and found that folks have problems such as generating estimates from the field (as stars and stripes mentioned), keeping records required by law, etc. The challenge is to find what are the most pressing problems that software can fix? :)

jallal: I am from around north of LA. You?

8. ronp

ronp LawnSite Member

Is creating estimates from the fields a problem that your business having? What does your workflow of creating an estimate and (proposal?) documents look like?

9. Jallal

Jallal LawnSite Member
    from SoCal

Orange County, just south of Disneyland. Give a holler if you're down this way, we'll have a pint!

10. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Call it an educated hunch, but I think the biggest challenge is not that, as the wants are easy to identify. Finding something that LCOs are willing to pay for, and at a sum that makes it worth your while, is the real challenge.