1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

It has already started...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcplace2004, Jul 27, 2005.

1. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I spent good money on a trimmer and the head is spinning at idle--bought on 7-5-05--sometime fast, sometimes slow...I was told this is normal, but I don't belive that a 400 dollar trimmer that has the color orange should be spinning...dealer told me that their may be debris in the clutch or that it may be catching????...WTF...even the cheapo echo from HD head did not spin at idle...any thought???...thanks...
  2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

My new redmax is spinning at idle after about two weeks. Dont know why ,tried adjusting the idle it doesnt help.Seems to be working fine besides that.
  3. dcplace2004

no in between...it is dangerous to have a blade spinning at idle...the thing worked properly when i bought it and it should not be doing it after three weeks...
  4. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

id take it back to stihl and tell them to fix it or give you a new one
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Did you try turning the idle down a hair?
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

exactly, dont change the idle. The clutch is the problem.
  7. dcplace2004

they adjusted it again and the head it not spinning...thanks...
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Mine have spun on idle for years, now. No biggy. I don't even worry about the clutches anymore...as long as they engage, that's all that matters. This concern goes in the same category as the "blade brakes" on the mowers. After awhile, it just doesn't really matter that much.
  9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

My "orange" trimmers also spin at idle. It is a very slow spin. Does not bother me.
  10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Just wondering, have you been running it with the guard off and alot of string out? This will usually do it (some brands, esp. orange) quicker than others. If you are running it with the guards off, be sure that you always run it wide open throttle, or premature clutch failure is much more likely.