It is already starting ...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sharp Services, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

How are we to make any money if your competition is willing to work for peanuts?

I bid a local church, who wanted to pay per cut, at $ 180.00 a cut. This would be weekly during the growing season and monthly the rest of the year.

The first call back I received was that they were really unhappy with there present LC and wanted to change ... so I give the $180 bid. Two weeks later they called and said that the old contract was for $170 per cut and if I could meet that price they would sign the contract. I said that $180 was fair and that I could go no lower.

Monday I get a call that they decided to give me the contract and to come get the signed contract on Wednesday after lunch. Wednesday, while I am driving over, I get a call and said that when they told the old LC that he was loosing the contract he lowered the price to $150 per cut. I told them that I could not do it for less than $180. I was told that they were going to give the old guy one more chance.

I thanked them for the opportunity to provide them with service and to call me if the old LC did not work out.

I am mad ... What would you have done different? This was my first attempt to get commercial work,

2. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i did the same thing stick to your guns . if you lower it for one person then you will lowering it for everyone. good job suck it up and move on .

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would have asked them why they asked you to bid in the first place, ask what was wrong with the guy they had. Then when they told you what they were unhappy with, I would have asked them if they honestly thought he would do a better job for less money.

Bottom line is, God works in mysterious ways, churches work in idiotic ways. Be happy you saved yourself the trouble.

4. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

its amazing, they will get what they pay for..I wouldn't worry about it, its still early, you will get something better....

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Why would they all of a sudden be happy with the current guy at a lower price..... Makes no sense..... Tell them $200 when they call back.

D

6. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I feel you. Very discouraging.

7. E.L.I.T.E.LawnCare

E.L.I.T.E.LawnCare LawnSite Member

A lot of commercial customers are starting to see that these LC companies with these low bids are not doing the same work as someone with a higher bid. For example the church i attend hired a LC 5yrs ago, because the guy was charging $225-$250 per wk. for 9.4 acres, after about two yrs. they started tearing up trees while weed whipping, running into lights with ztr's etc.. I decided to put my bid in last season for $550 per wk. and got the contract signed. This season I went up even higher (because of gas prices and to cover damages to my equip.) and i'm just waiting to hear back from them. I'm also bidding on a apt. complex that was paying $450 per wk. and the LC under bid on that, my bid is for $750 so i will post again if they call back.

8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I would have done pretty much exactly what you did. I have had this happen a few times. We recently had a customer ask that we keep their price the same as last year. We explained to them that we could do that, but we wouldn't be able to do all the add on's. They were not happy at first, but then my wife reminded the gentleman of the quality of work that we provide and he agreed. Once they realize that even though they are getting the service for cheaper, but not getting what they are looking for they will be back.

9. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

you're getting robbed at $18 per cut on any size property on a monthly cutting schedule. That other LCO will not last for long, be prepared for when these penny pinchers call you back. Don't let them nickel and dime you down to 1 cut per month, cause that one cut will be a pain in the @#$

The other lawn guy will realize that he is being nit-picked and making less money than before and will think wtf? and stop showing up.

10. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

You are right stick to your price, trying to knock you 10 bucks come on big accounts are crap we have a lot of small commercial accounts that pay good you know work 10 min at 30 and up less wear and tear.