It is that time of the year again, and I hate it!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rons Rightway Lawncare, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

2. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i hate getting stung

3. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

Been lucky so far this year. Last year got popped five times w/yellowjackets. The one on the end of my nose hurt the worst.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I got stung by a wasp the other day. Big nest in an Azalea. I came back the next time armed....they might have won a battle, but I won the war!

5. The scaganator

The scaganator LawnSite Member

Oh I freakin hate it too.We maintain around 50 accounts on a local mountain called Signal Mtn.All have had yellow jacket nests exept for the ones with irrigation.I havent been stung but the new guy has! To avoid getting stung all I do is to pay close attention to the ground were my last pass was,you should be able to see them swarm if you have ran over one.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yea, you have to stay alert and scan the area when mowing and/or trimming. I was mowing Thursday and looked over to see a ground nest on the edge of a flower bed. I would probably have weedeated that spot and ruined my day if not seen on the mower. Yellow Jackets are meat eaters. They munch on dead animals. I have ran over their buddies and then see them go eat their near dead buddies. Bunch of cannibals too:dizzy:

7. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

8. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I got stung by 15 yellow jackets at once when I was about 11 years old

9. MisfitBobletts

MisfitBobletts LawnSite Member

i got stung by a honey bee a few weeks ago...and im not alergic but my forearm swelled up like crazy....my right arm looked like popeye's lol