It just burns me up!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David C., Apr 10, 2007.

1. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

I must be the "Rodney Dangerfield" of the lawn biz!!!

Get this!!!

I was out putting out flyers---I get home

My wife says----"You've got a call from a lady!!!"

She got my name from the newspaper classified

Wanted to know this:

She doesn't need me to mow her grass---------she wanted me to come over and give her a price to "clean" her yard and get it ready for her regular guy to cut it-----trim limbs, weed beds

Is every lawn care servicer's arms broke but mine???????!!!!!!:realmad:
  2. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

that's not surprising. it seems people have no sense these days. the other day a buddy of mine (or supposed to be a buddy) who has a part time lawn service called me to see if i can put in a bid for some little league baseball fields twice as high as his so he can get the job. he said the board of directors just needs to show that they got 2 bids and would of course go with the lower bid but who's to say that someone on that end wouldnt use that against me in the future??? needless to say i told them i wouldnt do it but if my buddy really wanted the job i'd recommend him but i wouldnt put anything on paper.
  3. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Go take her Money ! and tell her why you can do a better Job at cutting her grass
  4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Heck yeah!! That's what I would do.
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

allmost same thing happen to me.....

this lady told me right from the start she has a guy cutting her lawn but right now it's to tall for him. would I come over and get it in shape so he can do his job.......

I informed her that I have 2 childern in College, a morage, a car payment and a lawn mower payment....
    then I ask her would she pay these so I could go get a new truck
  6. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I get asked by people to do shrub trimming and mulch etc by people only to find out they have a person who regularly cuts the grass already at their property. I usually find out when I say ok, Ill be here on Wednesday...oh can you come a different day, my grass guy comes Wed.

Well since you dont know if hes a buddy...take his price and send in your bid a dollar under him...the lower bid.
  7. nickslawn

nickslawn LawnSite Member

The last part of your statement caught my eye. If you did that on purpose I would call you a low baller. Because more than likely the person who mowes the yard is a lowballer. Well at least I try not to do that. Im trying to make a good repetation for myself.
  8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

This is not surprising at all. You would not believe the calls I get from people who want extras because their "regular lawn guy" either doesn't know how to do it, doesn't have the right equiptment, or just plain doesn't want to do it.

It seems all most guys can do is "cut grass"
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That has been my experience when advertising in a classified section, people looking for the lawn boy, I'll never do it again.
  10. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I've picked up several great accounts from our classified ad. It does work. You just need to learn when to say no to some people. I've had some bad calls. One lady told me that her lawn was in bad shape and it wasn't going to cost her alot to get it fixed. And in my head i'm going, we're not taking this job then. Our company is only for serious people who want a great lawn and landscape year round.