1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

It must be me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimmy348, May 27, 2003.

1. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

Brand new Echo SRM 260 and PE 260 both started and ran at dealer.
    Day later neither will start. I have used Echo equipment and know about the prime and choke and so on. However, I have been pulling and pulling on these things and not so much as a rummble. Nothing and after 20 or so pulls raw fuel comes out of exhaust. Call dealer, they say take out spark plug and clear flood. Uh, I didn't spend my money to take out spark plugs. What am I doing wrong? I put a similar post up about a week ago and now i am still in the same position. Neither unit will work and this is after I already exchanged the trimmer. Anyone else have a similar problem or recommend a brand that will start within three pulls. Funny, my 3 year old echo still starts within 3 pulls? :confused:
  2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I am gonna assume that you turned the switch on... maybe they changed the direction for the switch so your older ones turn on when you are turning the new ones off? Just a thought, I do that all the time as my Stihl you pull back to turn on and the Echo you push forward...
  3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i have had my echo 260 since last july and their is less than 2 hrs of use on it. It is really hard to start for me but i do get it going. I dont know why, my 4 year old 210 still works A+ and starts better than the new one. I dont know what it is, I mean I always get it going but it is hard.

I always give it 6-8 primes, and choke it when cold. ALSO, i always squeeze the trigger. This usually helps and I have it going in under 6 pulls, although it should only be 2.

My boss always tells me not to squeeze the triggers ever ever ever on both his echo's and shindys but I think it works better...

I would take it back to the dealer though if its not firing in 20 pulls, thata defective :eek:
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

On my Stihl FS80 I prime 5 times, squeeze the trigger into the lock (which is 2/3 throttle or so), full choke and it usually fires on the second pull, if you are quick you can catch the choke in time but usually you have to then move it to 1/2 choke and pull a third time then it's going. Sometimes this process takes 4 pulls total.
    On my Echo SRM2400SB I prime 3 times, squeeze trigger all the way and choke all the way, then the rest is about the same as the Stihl FS80 but it's usually in 4 pulls sometimes 5. It seems alittle harder to pull the rope than the Stihl, which has the Elastra-start or whatever (i forget what it's called) where it has a rubberish thing inside the pull handle that absorbs alot of shock. At first I thought that was corny and useless but since I got the Echo I like the Stihl better. The Stihl is for trimming and the Echo always is used with the Pro-Edger attachment. Stihl is a 2002 and Echo is a 2000 (got it used).
  5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same trouble with a Echo blower. I took it back to dealer twice and they finally put a nother carb on it. My mechanic at my dealer told me that the new carbs are not as adjustable and basicly suck. A year latter, it is still running OK. I did however switch to Shindowa to try them out. So far I like them except for the safety button you have to push in before the throttle can move.
  6. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Are you priming everytime you start your trimmers b/c I used to do it everyitme for my blower until one day it wouldn't start at all. I thought it was shot. Let it sit for like an hour and it still wouldn't start. Next day, I only pumped once and it started second pull.
  7. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a stihl br420c magnum and it acts like $&^* ALL of the time. I know it's not related but, take it back and get a shndy T-230

Worth it I gaurntee it. ;)
  8. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

I have done it all
    Sometimes prime sometimes not
    Sometimes three sometimes seven
    Throttle engaged sometimes not
    It all ends up with raw fuel coming out of the exhaust, customer looking at me like I have cheap $%## and my right arm seems to be getting a bit stronger.
    Think I will give the redmax's a try
  9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

"Think I will give the redmax's a try"

You'll be glad you did. My EB-7000 backpack blower and my CTH-2200 hedge trimmers fire on the first pull (choke on-half throttle) and if I'm quick enough on the choke a second pull is not necessary.

I hope the 2500 split-boom I'm about to purchase works as well.
  10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank the Californians! Just wait till we are lugging four strokes around with oil dripping out when you edge. I think every two stroke made has its own pattern of starting. Take them back and have the dealer show you, or you will show him. My opinion is that since there is no adjustment on these carbs and they work in a very small window, many will be junk and all should belong to Echo in the end.