1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

It never ceases to amaze me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LushGreenLawn, Jan 19, 2008.

1. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I ran into a guy at the trailer dealership today. He was buying two brand new trailers. Upon talking to him (or trying to talk to him, he spoke very little english) He told me that he had just financed two john deere mowers for around 11k. He was financing the two trailers, which I would estimate at around 5k, and was in a brand new Chevrolet 1/2 ton crew cab tuck.

He is just starting out, how long do you think it will take to sink in that it is going to take alot of customers to make all of those payments. I advertise very heavily in my area and am lucky to pick up 20 accounts. No way this kid is going to have the full schedule he needs to pay for all of this stuff. Espically since he can barely speak english, not many people want to deal with that.

I almost wanted to grab him and shake him, and try to talk some sense into him, but it would not have done any good. I think he was legal, because I doubt he could finance all of that stuff otherwise. I did have a conversation with him about getting licensed and getting insurance, which he said he had already done.

I amost felt bad because I know whats going to happen to him later in the season.
  2. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

hey man thats great news for you. I mean he wont be as big a competitor for you. I wish there were more guys like that around here. Here everyone just uses those kind of guys to do the work but the owners speak english.
  3. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd keep some tabs on him because you might be getting a good deal on some mowers and trailers say about August if not sooner.
  4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

my thoughts exactly, but i'd guess if he's buying that much he has done more research then you think. people starting out dont buy in multiples like that unless they have landed some big accounts or are truely braindead.
  5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

This reminds me of a guy here that bought five new Western tailgate spreaders and five new Western plows this fall, some of them went on brand new trucks. That is about $35K in snow equipment, we had about an inch or two of snow back on December 12th or so, and none since then. Hope he got some money in advance, or he's sucking wind right now.
  6. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Heh, and that reminds me of Tony's Snowblowing... all repo'd.

This guy has/had 4000 customers but the ones on this news story all seem whiny.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

But it happens here, too...!

It's not just what you speak of, I can't begin to start naming the list of things... It's not for lack of information, there are millions of posts and what must be 100's of thousands of threads covering all of it, but sure enough, same mistakes over and over and over again.

So it just gets to that point, if history has to repeat itself then let it.
  8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

He may be dealing with a management company in which case he'll be ok for a while...

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Don't assume just because a guy has invested in his company, that he doesn't know what he is doing...
  10. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

No you see he's not legal and he's using someone elses credit. He doesn't give a damn if he can make the payments lol.

He misunderstood the statement you gotta start somewhere.:laugh: