It not grass!!! Its weeds.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ATX3HUNNID, Jun 24, 2008.

1. ATX3HUNNID

ATX3HUNNID LawnSite Member

Ok I recently purchased a home where the back yard was left up to me to grow. I was given a back yard of dirt with more weeds than Bob Marley could have handled.
    One weekend I spent hours upon hours pulling them up (some of them waist high). Once I got them all up and used a metal rake to loosen the dirt to get ready to lay the seed. Now after doing this all weekend I barely had enough energy to loosen the grass so there are all kinds of little rocks still on the dirt. I finally laid the seed using Scott's Bermuda Premium Blend. After a few weeks of heavy watering I finally saw some patches growing. But the bad part is, the weeds came back too! I can't get rig of them! I try and pull them up when they are small but there are hundreds! So my Bermuda is trying to grow (in some places) but most of the yard is completely covered with more weeds and at first glance it all looks green but I'd say 90% of it is weeds.
    I'm so fed up I don't know what to do anymore. I was told not to use any weed killer since I just laid the seed but am I really supposed to go out and pull out weeds every weekend? I need some help bad! My wife wants to use our back yard but its impossible because its such a mess!

Again thanks for helping with my front lawn! Anyone have this problem or know of what to do? I almost want to completely dig everything up and start all over!

Thanks

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Spray, scrape,re-sod and roll. Weeds gone, intant lawn.

3. ATX3HUNNID

Sorry I don't know anything about what you just said. Im thinking you said to spray the entire yard with weed killer then srape all the ground up and then of course re-sod it. Well I didnt sod it to begin with. I just threw seed.

4. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

If you want an instant fix you will want to sod. Spray the area with Roundup, kill everything scrape it back down to bare dirt and then re-sod.
    Other than that there is not much else you can do other than give it some time. Once the seed has germinated you can not use any kind of herbicide on the area until that seed is up and you have mowed it 4-5 times. Only then will it be mature enough to handle the herbicide. Fertilizing it with a good starter fert will help speed things along.
    Once the turf is mature enough to handle the herbicide we can start to do battle with the weeds.
    Keep the turf fertilized (every 6-8 weeks) so that it will thicken up and start to crowd the weeds out. Then this fall and in the spring you want to apply a pre-emergant to kill the weed seed before they germinate.
    Starting a lawn from seed is a several month process and the first season you have to suffer from some "growing pains".

5. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

the bermuda will get niice and thick eventually and choke out mostly anything.
    it may take 2 seasons to do that.once you get established,don't overwater.bermuda likes a nice cool down.

6. ATX3HUNNID

thanks guys. I really think I need to kill it all and start over. Maybe I'll get some help. I dont have a huge backyard but for me alone its hell! So let me get this straight.

1. Spray roundup or some weed killer everywhere
    2. scrape all the stuff up and make sure its just dirt
    3. lay seed or sod and water.

Sounds easy but Im sure its not. How long for the round up to completely kill everything?

7. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure it is Roundup or a generic Glyphosphate like Prosecutor Pro. Any other weed killer will affect the soil and you wont be able to seed or sod for a month or so. It will take 10 days or so before the plants are dead. At that point in time scrap all vegatation down to bare dirt. Grade, then sod. If you reseed your going to repeat what you've already done. When you prepare the ground for your Bermuda seed you also create a perfect seed bed for all the weed seeds in the soil. Then when you start your daily watering for your Bermuda up comes ALL the weeds.

8. ATX3HUNNID

Thanks for all the help guys. I have one more question but I'll make another thread for that one.

9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

I didnt ralize you were a homeowner in search of some advice. I had to take a phone call and was going to come back to this and elaborate, but didnt. Sorry, and good luck.

10. ATX3HUNNID

no prob but thanks anyway. Yea I just moved in about 2 months ago and Im trying to tackle the lawn. Maybe you can help me with my other question about mulch. I made another thread about it.

Thanks!