1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

It pays to do quality work...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Stan's_Lawn_Service, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Stan's_Lawn_Service

Stan's_Lawn_Service LawnSite Member

Well, this past week I have been mowing. Picked up 8 new yards by referral. I just luv referrals! (they are the most loyal customers!) In 1999 I had a customer that I mowed (her husband had a brain aneurysm). During the winter her husband started feeling better. So in the spring, she called and stated that her husband was going to take care of the lawn. I told her that was great! I told her if she needed me in the future, just to call!
    Guess what? She called me today! Her husband had a heart attack and she asked if I could do the yard again. That was out of the clear blue sky! It pays to be kind and customer considerate! I will take care of the yard for now and when he gets well, he will take over the yard duties again!

Always remember, there really is plenty of work out there! It pays to do quality work not quantity. You can always get quantity if you do quality work....

I am done being cheesy. I just had to tell someone....

car2 (Small) (2) (WinCE).jpg
  2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

And that is a lesson everyone in the service industry needs to learn... It is guys like you giving this biz a decent name... Keep up the good work brother! Preach on!!! :clapping:
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This has been my experience...

I find when work is slow and you have the time (which you should), always focus on your quality as this will help in more ways than one:
    - You get better at turning out a solid service.
    - You give back something of yourself which you can not always do.
    - It promotes you, and advertising isn't free so spending the extra time is not a waste.
    and so on...

Then, you get busy and suddenly all that goes out the window as you're working sunup to sundown because it's all you can do to keep up. BUT, the fact that you were concentrating on quality before you got busy helps you maintain at least some minimum standards and this helps carry you through. Had you not focused on quality when you were slow, you'll turn out a terrible product because your quality level will drop when you get busy and it is relative, meaning the better your product was to start with, the better it is in the end and vice versa: So, absolutely always focus on quality anytime you have time, are bored, or plain just feel like doing it.
  4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Nice job, I have found the same thing. Treat them well, do the job right and the work just comes. Too bad others can't figure it out. Price alone isn't the only thing customers look for, at least not the kind of customers it takes to build a profitable business.
  5. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Quality is the only real difference between those who want to make a career of this and those just in it for the money.
  6. hostingdiva

hostingdiva LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I think this is true for any business that deals with people... but even if you are just in it to make money - you have to treat people right because bad things seem to spread a lot faster than good things :rolleyes:
  7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Thats very true, word in this industry seems to get around real fast. I always say what goes around comes around. Treat people like you want them to treat you.
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

quality, is bullsheet. there is just a point where you're doing too good of a job, and not being compensated for it. COMMERCIALLY ACCEPTIBLE should be your goal.
  9. Stan's_Lawn_Service

Stan's_Lawn_Service LawnSite Member

Hi, I am sorry that you feel that way. If that is what works for you then that's fine. I just know how I do business. I do an exceptional job and I get exceptional pay. My customer's are extremely loyal and they pay me for all that I do and sometimes more. When you maintain commercial properties it is one thing and I do them well. When you work for individuals it is all about their perception of you and your work. I have been in business for myself for 14 years and I never have to advertise. Why? Because I get more referral business than I can handle. I tend to be picky with what I do.
    I am in no way saying that you or anyone else should follow my way of doing business. I know that this is how I see my business. I bid high and get paid well on my reputation.

Thanks, Stan
  10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Stan don't mind bobby, he's here just for hits.

Your thinking is the same as my old employer who taught me the business. He used to say the same thing you said "There is plenty of work out there". I used to bring up the fact to him that so many people were getting into it, and we should advertise or try to get a better branding out there. All he'd tell me is "there's plenty of work out there" and let it go at that. Now I realize what he was trying to say and the fact that he was branded, he was branded as a quality company that did quality work and had a good reputation, he didn't need to advertise, if he lost an account for whatever reason, he's get another (or more) to fill it in.

Keep up the good work, hopefully I can get some good referrals starting up this year.