It Pays To Sit Back And Observe

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by johnnysoko, Aug 2, 2006.

1. johnnysoko

johnnysoko LawnSite Member

First of all thanks to all of the professionals on here with many years of experience in lawn maintenance, I have gathered volumes of information from you reading the various threads and it has helped me immensely in my business model.

I originally was putting together my plan while I steer my current company and launch my business in the Spring of 2007 but have since changed my mind.

I have already organized my llc, arranged my insurance, designed my fliers/doorhangers and business cards and have had them printed, shirts are done, and have been doing a ton of networking and alot of listening.

I changed my mind because after talking with several vendors and lco operators that fall here in Michigan is probably the best time to get in the market... fall cleanups are huge, alot of lco's can't keep up with the demand and it's the time some lose some business and other gain from that loss, plus an excellent time to get the name out and the visibility... I see truth in that.

I also happen to be fortunate enough to have several close friends who are developers and realtors that have urged me to get going because they have several people always asking for referrals plus their own commercial jobs, vacant lots etc...

I originally planned on just going out and getting everything I needed that one of the seasoned teams had, but decided to start small, and not get overwhelmed, I would rather have business to manage/grow than to not be able to offer the service my customers desire.

Equipment-wise I am currently using a 12' trailer with my logos and info on the sides and on the liftgate, a 48" walk behind hydro, a 21" Honda, Kawasaki string trimmer and edger, plus a backup string trimmer (echo), and an echo backpack blower. I also keep extra parts, tools, etc... just to be prepared.

I already have 20 clients after two weeks (and growing), and am starting simple, just mow and blow, and doing my best to perfect my work... so people will take notice and hopefully tell others. I am strictly professional, clean cut, nice shirts, nice equipment, fair and NOT low-balling ($35/min) which is right in line for this area.

I just wanted to say thank you for the advice I have received, and advice I will continue to receive in the future. I am new to the industry and have set goals to grow this business as I have my current company.

I just love being out in the sun on the grass, making my customers lawns look like art. Thanks guys.

2. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Congratulations on the nice start, keep the attitude of quality work 1st and you'll be fine. good luck
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not helping anybody with leaves myself.
  4. johnnysoko

I have a game plan for the leaves.

I have several friends here that are fly-fishing guides and are not always booked as well as a handful of other people to help with the leaves, I know I couldn't handle by myself, and that would ultimately hurt the service I want to base my business upon.

I probably will invest in another blower to aid in the fall, and will probably need another one sometime anyway.

I do have friends that use leaf vacs of some form or another.

What would your advice be? Would it be more advantageous to buy a walk behind vac or to engineer one somehow integrating a vac system with a large pickup hose that would empty into a covered dump trailer and sell the leaves as mulch...

I was wondering about the latter due to the large amount of leaves Michigan produces, especially up North...

Thanks in advance. - John
  5. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

Do a search on billy goats or leaf vac's. tons of info. on this site about the subject. Good Luck, Jeff
  6. johnnysoko

Jeff do you use a leaf vac currently or how do you handle your fall cleanups downstate? I have a roommate from college that I have discussed this with, he said the Billy Goat is the way to go, but he is not in the business. What are your thoughts?