1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

It seems to take the same amount of time.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by r&t, Mar 27, 2004.

1. r&t

r&t LawnSite Member

I bought a 36in mower been reading on this site all winter.Its taking the same amount of time to mow as my 21in. Is it im not used to it yet or is it the extra trimming eating up time?
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you're not using it properly then. there is no way a 21" can do what a 36" does. are u overlapping too much? also, the thing is, when u have high wet grass, the 21" can't compete, and the life of the 2 machines will be different
  3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

With practice and a velke or jungle wheels, you should see your mowing time drop by 50% at least.Practice, practice,practice!!!:D
  5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

what gear do you have it in? what type of property are you doin? flat? hills? gardens? open? as said above are you over lapping to much?
  6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

not only that, you save energy for other things to do on properties, in the end of day you will thank sulky for saving your business. All my 21ers are gone for good almost 2 1/2 years now and never miss them, so long.
  7. r&t

r&t LawnSite Member

Ive got res. yards flat are you kidding I live in oklahoma.I guess I need some practice. I am walking it the people I bought it from said walk b-4 you ride its still pretty scary running it.
  8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I agree, you need practice learning how to use it properly first, before buying a velkie.
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Well i would agree with both of those statements. You just have to get the hang of it.
  10. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Something doesn't seem to add up. I know when I bought my first 36 my cutting time cut in half. The added width helps but the speed of the mower was alot faster too.