It will never happen to me!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jocko1104, May 9, 2003.

1. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

Jeez, the ONE day that I am to lazy to back the trailer all the way up to the house I get my 21" toro stolen off the back of the trailer. Thieves never rest! They tried to take the 36" but the back gate was locked and it is probably a little heavy for the average guys to lift.

I was always one of those guys that read the posts about ENTIRE trailers being stolen, just ran into the store, went into a back yard for 2 minutes, etc.,read all the warnings but always thought that it could never happen to me in my own neighborhood. :dizzy:

It wasn't abig deal because I usually don't use the 21" that much anyhow but.....

For all you guys leaving stuff outside its not a matter of IF but WHEN. I leaned the hard way. If you haven't learned yet let those of us who have do it for you.

SECURE YOUR EQUIPMENT!

2. Duncan Lawn Care

Duncan Lawn Care LawnSite Member

My $1000 Honda was gone in 60 seconds. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep them locked up? Scums probably had bolt cutters so It didn't matter anyways.

3. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Focus a small, hidden, motion activated, camera at the equipment. I am looking at one that's less than $100.00, wireless, and records directly to a VCR or the computers hard drive. when motion is detected. Put a sign up saying your on candid camera.

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Tell me more about this. Where are you buying it from?

5. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

I wonder if they would have the nerve to strike twice? Mabey a few pieces of 2 stroke as bait and a sniper position with a shotgun?

What would I do if I caught them anyhow? Probably end up worse for me.

The camera sounds cool but I dont really want pictures of my equipment being stolen.

6. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

my semi auto 9 mm would scare them heck out of them shootin
    at the ground.

It works to keep the deer from eating my garden

7. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

to keep your small mower and equipment from being stolen get you some of the cable type gun locks--they are made of very fine braided wire and almost impossible to cut with bolt cutters--believe me i tried

8. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Jocko,

Is there a Storage place by your home, or route. Maybe price a unit there? Sometimes you can get them from $50-75 a mo.

Just keeps things out of site and you get that space back at your home.

Gun Cable sounds better than chain. Beware, if you do not change the situation with something, they WILL get you again.

Ive heard about this camera thing a couple times.....
    How well does this inexpensive camera system work? Does it record facial features at night? Did you plan on giving the tape to the authorities? And, if so what are they going to do with it?

It would be nice getting a shot of the criminals 'in action'. You could see how they do it, and improve security. You would have a picture of your mower to remember it by.:)

9. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard (not seen) of a way to electrify your trailer, at first it seemed like a good idea, especially right after something gets stolen, but then you think of all the potential dangers involved.

10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I had a back pack blower and a can of fuel stolen off of one of my trailers. This happened in front of my house.
    After that, I welded a bunch of chain and locked everything down.
    When I bought my new mowers, I also bought an enclosed trailer.
    So far, no more theft.
    I also reported my equipment stolen immediately and the blower was recovered three months later. The thieves pawned it that very day.