it wont fit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by m0werman, Mar 19, 2005.

1. m0werman

m0werman LawnSite Member

this lady wants me to do her lawn. i would do it but the gate to the yard is to small for my 36" bunton, the gate is about 32" wide. i would kill my self with the push mower, 21". anyone know how to fit a big mower in a little gate. i am not sure if i want the job if i cant use the big mower, i guess the yard is about 75' by 150'. any ideas.
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that just the back yard size or the entire size, cause that isn't too big? I could get my 48" WB through some small gates when i had it. You just kind of arc it through it, like carrying a sofa around a tight corner.
  3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of fence is it? If it's just a picket fence, it's easy enough to modify a panel so you can remove it. Just bolt on a couple of U brackets to set the bottom it in and an eye hook or so on each side at the top. Most other fences can be modified to allow entry as well. Sometimes just takes a little head scratching....
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I was thinking the same thing. Is there a way to modify the fence?
  5. motorider000

motorider000 LawnSite Member

Buy a crane! :D
  6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Not to sure on 36 inch decks but you can get 48s through 44-inch gates. This is wbs only riders you are screwed. I have one I do this to often enough first I open the gate then I move the mower back and forth to it is sideways with the fence and the drive wheel is touching the gate post the side with out the door of course. Then its just a matter of pushing the handle bars down which lifts the deck and pivoting on the tire next to the wall on the tight one I have I have to take off the opposite side caster to clear but I do get a 48 through a 44 inch gate. The exception to the rule is if the posts are 6x6 instead of 4x4 The wider the less likely you can pull it off. If the fence is chain link it is the easiest to do. Of course this season I get my 44-inch lazer back on my personal crew so the WB is going bye bye but it served its purpose till I got the 3rd ZTR.
  7. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

put some hair around it. you'll get it in there!

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I tell them to call me when they get a "real" gate. Most of them around here are closer to 42", so it's very rare to run across a narrow one. If I do it's usually a chain link fence.
  9. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Why waste your time? Early on I was faced with the same problem. I tried to angle my walk in. I considered modifing the gate. I ended up using a 21" just to finish it. I never went back. It was a learning experience. I have move beyond those situations...let it go.
  10. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Whatever you do......DO NOT TAKE IT DOWN ANY STAIRS in the back yard.....some of you will know what I am referring to......HAHAHA