it won't green up

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by capescaper, Apr 4, 2004.

1. capescaper

capescaper LawnSite Member

17 days ago i applied the lesco product for crabgrass and also applied lime 50# per 1000 sq ft all was applied with a lesco spreader on the recommended setting. The yard was all new sod in the fall it has just shown no sign of greening up, we have had plenty of rain with not much sun. Should i do a soil sample.

2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

whats your soil temps down there? how about air temps?

only 17 days... i wouldnt be worried

3. Dman1214

Dman1214 Banned

capescaper, it is my experience that sod always greens up much later, even with higher soil temps. expect 2-3 weeks of green -up lag on sodded lawns

4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Bluegrass greens up later too. You probably have bluegrass sod.

5. lars

lars LawnSite Member

I would do a soil sample anyway? Do you know what the pH is? Remember that fertilizer is not "efficent" in low pH and may not even work in a pH over 7.5. Also, you may have great deficiencies in the soil that you won't know about until you get a test.

I second the temperature thing too. For fertilizer to be turned into plant-available nitrogen, bacteria converts nitrogen into useable forms. At low temperatures the bacteria is not as active and will not convert fertilizer into plant-available forms.

Alot of things can happen; no nitrification, denitrifcatinon, volitization, leaching, the list goes on and on. What are the conditions like? Cold, wet, sandy?

6. would think soil temps are too low for much green-up, and the fert and lime application at the same time if result in N loss, UNLESS the nitrogen was high in slow release!