ITCH ITCH ITCHY ITCH Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LANDGUARD, Nov 21, 2002.

1. LANDGUARD

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

I have a question for some of you seasoned professionals. I was doing some clean-ups down here in the south and ran into what I believe to be RED BUGS or CHIGGERS!
    It has been stated to me to put fingernail polish (clear if possible as red is not my color) on the dots. Well either this doesn’t work for me, or it takes a week or more to stop itching. Do any of you have some other known cures or for the little fellows ?

And while I’m at it how about Poison Ivy, any good remedies for that?

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to hear about your problem.. no answers for you.

Just wanted to say welcome to lawnsite :D

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

4. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

chiggers? dont you get those from dirty women?

5. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Drink vinegar before you go out to work. Drinking it after you have then works some . Eat lots of garlic... those parasite hate garlic. Most will leave your body after a couple of days.

Once you get some poison ivy just put Calamine lotion on it... that's it. Just give it some time.

My simpathies.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

6. bscroggs

bscroggs LawnSite Member

I live in Louisiana and quite frequently get red bugs. I've heard of several different things that you can do and I've tried them all. The reason that they make you itch is because they are still biting you, so you have to kill them by covering them (such as the fingernail polish) or by chemicals. I've taken baths with a little bleach in them, or with a little pine sol. Both of those work pretty good (just don't get the water in your eyes). Their is also a medicine called Chiggerex that works very well, but it comes in a small bottle so if you have a lot of bites you better buy more than one. You should be able to find it in Wal-Mart.

I hope this helps. :D Good luck!;)

7. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I can't help you with the bugs but the poison ivy there is a preventive trick. After you do a cleanup and you think there was poison ivy wash with a salt water paste. Use regular table salt. Won't help you now, but hopefully next time.
    Matt

8. LANDGUARD

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

Thanks for the good info guys.

Sheppard, I think that if I eat the garlic and drink the vinegar, more things will leave me than just the critters.

TLS, thanks for the link, I thought that this was rough shape until I saw what they look like, Now I'm SCARED poopless.

Everyone else thanks for the welcomes and good advice.

:D

9. Downeast

Downeast LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to the Doctor, and get some meds for the poison ivy. I think its prendizone.Works great,stops the itching ,so the ivy will run its course and you could care less about it.I think it does other things for you as well .The Doc will tell you.Its worth the money . At least for me it is. Poison Ivy ****s