"Itch mite" application please!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FERT-TEK, Aug 19, 2007.

1. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Recently, the Midwest has had an infestation of some kind of mite that is usually found in the southern states. The local news is calling it a "itch mite" and did a story on hospital emergency rooms having ten or more cases a day of people looking for treatment. I am looking for an application to take care of these "itch mites" before Labor Day.
    This weekend I was playing with my kids in our yard and the next day (not that night) my feet and ankles looked like I had leprosy and were itchier than the worst mosquito bites I have ever had. Could someone recommend something that works.

2. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like red bugs after you come out of the yard take a bath in 1oz of
    bleach and water. I would think most parathyroid would take of mites or mitecidie.Talstar is labeled for mites. I am no expert on itch mites frankly
    never herd of them hope this helps.

3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

might be chiggers/red bugs use deet when playing in the yard they are the larva of a mite bite and their leave a chem that cause skin damage

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IG085

4. FERT-TEK

Bug-Guy, I think you are right although it is dark here and I will not be able to investigate for a couple days. Thanks for the link, it was most helpful.

Man, two weeks of itchy feet and ankles sucks.

5. FERT-TEK

Bump for any other suggestions.