Itching For a New mower!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, May 10, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Geeeze oh peeets, i cant stand my 2 21in mowers anymore, i need a NEW WB!!! I cant wait till i get a new mower, i cut 20lawns a week as is, i will be cutting hopefully 40-50 by the end of may (because i have 15k flyers going out on weds). Im most likley going to be getting a 36in Hydro Fixed Deck, and then a 48 or 52 hydro floating deck next year.

I just cant stand cutting 20 lawns a week with 2 21" cubs. Its an accident waiting to happen!!!

i guess im in the tough stages of the first year of lawn maintence!?!?! hopefully ill be getting the WB in the next few weeks.
  2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

what do you mean by "it's an accident waiting to happen"
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That has to be killing you time wise and effort wise to do that many lawns with only a 21” mower. How big are the lawns that you currently have?

4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Mark, good thinking on getting a hydro (I SO wish I had), but I urge you to reconsider the fixed versus floating deck decision. If you have to change mowing heights during the day, that fixed deck is going to make you curse. That's my predicament and I can't tell you how much I wish I'd gone top-of-the-line on my eXmark 36.
  5. spenfire

spenfire LawnSite Member

I just sold my scag wb and bought a John Deere 727 zero turn with a 23 HP kawasaki and a 54" deck. I absolutely love it. You might seriously think about buying a zero turn. The amount of time you save is unbelievable. Alot less wear and tear on yourself too. Good luck!
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

His signature line states that he does these 20 lawns with 21” mower in 8 hours. I’d say that those lawns are way too small for a 54” Z… Just my opinion. Those are tiny lawns.

Now, will you need to get through gates? If so, do careful measuring of the gate openings and the mower widths you’re looking at buying. You will want to fit that nice new machine through all of the gates right? A 32” fits through virtually any gate but a 36” will not fit through all of them. I have a 32” and 52” mowers and some friends have a 36” and 48”. They say they wish they had got a 32” because of all the gates that their 36” does not go through. My 32” goes through all of the gates I’ve come across so far. My 52” is a hydro floating deck and I love it. The 32” is a belt drive fixed deck (but since it’s a Gravely it adjusts height like a floater) I wish it was hydro but I only use it on 3 or 4 yards a week so it’s fine for what I do. If I was using it full time I’d definitely need a hydro. Save a whole lot of fatigue!! Look at a 32” eXmark Viking. The only 32” hydro that I know of. Yes it’s fixed deck, but that’s not the worst thing in the world. I use to have a 52” fixed deck Scag. Height adjust was ok, just find a curb or put one wheel on the trailer gate and the other hanging off so you can change the height one wheel at a time. I got pretty fast at it and it wasn’t that bad. You only need to change the spacers on the front wheels unless you’re adjusting more than say 1.5” in height difference. In Michigan, you’ll be cutting all the same type of grasses so no need to adjust more than an inch I’m betting? I’d rather a hydro 32 even if it meant having a fixed deck. A 36 won’t do you any good sitting on a trailer because it can’t get through a gate and a belt drive will give you too much fatigue to enjoy the mower and get the most productivity out of it especially on those small tight lawns. A fixed deck is not bad unless you change height every other lawn. The eXmark Viking is the only 32” hydro that I know of and it is fixed deck. I know you’ll love the eXmark. I’d say go for it! If your gates let you fit a 36” through or you don’t mind using the 21” here and there then I’d say go for an eXmark Turf Tracer HP hydro drive floating deck. The 36 will be faster in bigger areas and still fit in a lot of small ones. The TTHP has bigger drive tires and the floating deck. Try the ECS it’ll be better than pistol grips! You won’t rap your knuckles on fences like with pistol grips on a 32/36” w/b! It protects your hands from fences and buildings, but does put them higher up and more susceptible to tree limbs. More comfortable control system.
    Just giving you some of my opinions and something to chew on.
    Good luck and have a great season!
  7. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to get a 32" mower! I'm not sure what to get?

I have 21" so far and I have from 0 accounts 2 months ago to about 23 mowing accounts now! I only have 1 x 21" mower and its not cutting it!

What 32" do you guys recommend?

Hydrostatic / and what else? I'm not familiar with the terms1
  8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

perhaps ill get a 32in hydro float deck (if they make em) if they make it please tell me. thanks... and then next year ill buy a 48 or 52 so i can use the 32 for backyards and 52 for front.... but for right now ill work on the 32, please help. is there a 32in hydro floating deck?
  9. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

Floating decks start from 36" and up.
    For a 32, all you will find is a fixed.
  10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Just like I already said: no.
    With you getting 20 lawns done in 8 hrs with a 21", they must be very small lawns. I don't see how a 52" will help in the front lawns. You won't save hardly any time if it will even fit, and you'll spend more time loading/unloading. Just use a 32" or so. Consider a Flex-Deck attachment it folds up to get through gates and will add 18" of cut to the mower. Would give you 50" cut that gets through gates. I have a real small lawn and last year used a 21" on it. This year I got the Gravely and spend around 5-10 minutes less on the property. And it is a small lawn, but cluttered with obstacles.