Item To Add Weight To Door Hanger

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GravelyGuy, Feb 21, 2008.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I am going to pass out 10,000+ flyers this year and I plan to put them in a bag with something that will add some weight so that I can deliver them from my vehicle. I plan to just put them at the end of the drive or next to the mailbox unless anyone can suggest a better spot.

I was thinking of maybe a bulb, but that may not be heavy enough to keep them in place on a breezy day. A marble would work, but that has nothing to do with landscaping.

Any suggestions? Please post links to cheaps places to get stuff like this if you have them. I found a place where I can get bags pretty cheap. I am only looking to spend around 5 cents per item to add weight.

Thanks for the help.

2. AllHardscaping

AllHardscaping LawnSite Member

If your going to throw them on the driveway you might as well stay at home. Anybody I have ever talked to, including myself hates getting stuff thrown on your drive with some rocks in the baggy. That is not profesional. Take the time to walk them to the door and you wont have people cussing you out because they have to pick up the "garbage" on their driveway. Take it another step and try some direct mail. It will make you look more profesional and get you more accounts. Just my two cents.

Good luck

3. Doug1966

Doug1966 LawnSite Member

4. Doug1966

Doug1966 LawnSite Member

5. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

I guess it's all in how you do it. I wouldn't want to pull a wrinkled piece of paper out of a sandwich bag either. I tried putting a 4"x6" postcard into a clear ziplock bag and it fits perfectly and it actually looks nice IMO.

I think putting them next to the mailbox may be a better option than on the drive so that people don't have to dodge them to pull in. Really no matter how you advertise you piss people off. That's the name of the game.

For me I would rather annoy a few people and deliver 3000 flyers in one day than take the time to walk all the way up the driveway and be luck to get 500 in one day.

A much cheaper alternative would be to just put them behind mailbox flags like everyone else including big names like Dominoes etc. I realize this is against the law, but it's really not enforced around here.

Benefits of bag:

-makes me stand out a little more than the other guys

-protects card if homeowner does not pickup until next day

-easier on homes with mailboxes on house

-maybe slightly faster than flags and way faster than walking

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Not everybody has the time to walk them to the door.

Doorhanger, flyers, all these mass marketing materials, all you need is a small percentage of them to give you a call. I could care less what the rest of them think.

7. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Thanks for the site Doug. I want to keep my costs well below direct mailing otherwise I would just do that. Maybe just a small hanful of grass seed om the ziplock. It may be a little messy though. I gurantee you would have people that use it though. They would just go throw it down on the bare spot that their dog left behind. I'm getting ideas, keep them coming.

8. Doug1966

Doug1966 LawnSite Member

thing is though, to me:
    -zip lock bag with handful of grassseed = "lowballer fly-by-night"
    -proper package for $0.29 with your logo and phone number printed on it = "estabilished, professional company"

What impression do you want to give your potential customers, with a lasting impression that can last for years?

Sure, it may cost more to do a professional campaign, but if you feel it is a good campaign you should be confident that the added costs will pay off with higher incremental sales.

if you are willing to take the risk to start your own business you should be the same people willing to invest in that business and take more risks.

in other words, I think the do-it-yourself ziplock bag with grass seed isn't a good idea!