Itemize Bill?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by work4green, May 20, 2004.

1. work4green

work4green LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants me to itemize a bill. I installed the irrigation, as well as an outdoor faucet and automatic waterer on their horse tank. I really don't think its that much of their business how I figure costs and how much the materials-I wouldnt ask them to do the same on a house they build and sell. So how should I do this, or should I do it at all? So far I'd listed the bill with what I've done, and a total cost for everything.

2. houston

houston LawnSite Member

Do not itemize. He agreed to let you do a job for a price. Just list the job(s) done on the invoice and the total price (for labor and materials).

If you gave him a price for each of the 3 jobs, then list the 3 jobs and their prices (not broken down into labor and material), add up the 3 prices and give him the invoice and tell him to pay up.

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Itemized bill for service only. If he realy wants an itemized bill for an install , write it up , at retail prices and service work rates , and submit a bill , it will be about 50% more than what you quoted .
  4. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

MD is right but I dont think you should take the time to even do that. If you did not itemize when you propsed, you should not do it either at final invoice. We never itemize on an install.

Its like buying a new car motor. A dealer is not going to break up every part and price that makes up that motor.
  5. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

no itemizied bill. who has the time to write an itemizied bill for an install....

57 1" crimps
    32 poly fittings
    1 roll of funny pipe
    i can of anal lube for homeowner...

ahh, the sweet smell of spring.

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Have they paid you already? I suppose if they are holding out to pay you until you give them this itemized bill, then you should do it in order to get paid. Just throw in everything you can think of.

Install timer in garage - 1.0 man hours
    Install Valves - 3.0 man hours
    Travel to get supplies 3.0 man hours
    Install backflow device - 2.0 man hours.

And then I'd list so many parts that they couldn't see straight.
  7. work4green

work4green LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replys guys. I did in fact itemize the bill slightly, just separating the three main parts of work into total prices for each. I think the problem was that when I first gave them the bill, only the husband was there. The wife was the one that wanted it itemized. She thought the irrigation was included on the price for a front yard landscape I just installed. They're the type of folks that are so rushed trying to fit too much in their daily schedules that they dont really listen to what you tell them. I suppose I'm at fault to a certain degree for not writing a stiff multipage contract. I suppose if I had they wouldn't have read it anyways....

I'll take everyone's advice for the next jobs and not itemize. I have gotten paid by the way.:)

Does anyone else run into problems where the husband and wife both want to run the show? And never are both of them there at the same time? So one never knows what the other has agreed to...

8. TurfTimeTim

TurfTimeTim LawnSite Member

quote: "Does anyone else run into problems where the husband and wife both want to run the show? And never are both of them there at the same time? So one never knows what the other has agreed to... "

Always refer to the wife as " THE BOSS". You will imediately gain her respect and the husband already knows it's true.