Itemizing your bids?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by TheTurfTender, Apr 7, 2008.

1. TheTurfTender

TheTurfTender LawnSite Member
    from Mn

Do you guys itemize your estimates and include unit prices for everything? Or do you give them the "Installed" price with the materieals (heads,valves,etc), with no individual prices? I have heard both ways so I need some input!

Thanks

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

i do everything installed....

3. TheTurfTender

TheTurfTender LawnSite Member
    from Mn

So you don't list any of the materieals?

4. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

No Itemizing!

Installed price with list of parts to be used (head, valve, controller type and models)

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

installed.

things will change in the field, and you will need to be flexible.

i NEVER give the customer a list of materials. say you used one less spray head, they'll try and get credit for that. but say you end up using an extra one... good luck getting them to pay extra.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You're selling an installed system, not a box of parts.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly what the others said. Your home isn't priced out, or a vehicle. Your not selling parts, your selling a products or service when installing.

8. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I learned in my first year to never give an itemized list. Got tired of the "Home depot only charges x for a sprinkler head"... finally learned to say "Have Home Depot install it then", then got smart and tossed out the itemized lists...

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you guys saying you don't itemize your repair bills either? Or just installs?

10. I write a paragraph and describe my concept for the system and mention a few high end parts for emphasis then add a price. You want the attention moved away from the materials and place the emphasis on the design, your concepts, make yourself the talent factor worthy of whatever price you quote.