1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

It'll be the death of us.....

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mjohnson1, Aug 1, 2006.

1. mjohnson1

mjohnson1 LawnSite Member

We had this story today on the tv station where i work. we didnt have it on the website so i had to link to another station hope it works okay. notice they misspelled aerating too. (sorry my mom was an english teacher) $8-$10 a sq. ft.!

2. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

we can all go into the lawn washing and vacuming instead of mowing because the dog has made a mess on the lawn
    :laugh: :laugh:
  3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Always turn the bad around. We took an 8 hr training course on installation of sythetic grass and will begin promoting soon. Cost is cheap and suppliers are easy to find.

Use this...don't lose it!
  4. mjohnson1

mjohnson1 LawnSite Member

it does sound lucrative at $8-10 a sq ft. i don't think the article stated if that's the cost from the supplier or the going rate for installation. even though it would hurt mowing business i imagine it would open up a lot of new maintenance possibilities as far as washing it, patching holes, keeping it stretched tight, etc. i saw one of those home makeover shows on HGTV where they used it and the installation didn't look too bad.
  5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Just what they need out there.. Grass that is not alive cannot remove CO2 from the air and turn it into Oxygen. CA needs to just detonate some explosives along their fault line and speed up the process of that state drifting out into the ocean. They already do things so insane there that they might as well be their own country and stop forcing their standards on everybody else.
  6. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

The people are just mad because they can't have the real thing so instead of feeling left out they want us all to use it. :hammerhead: :dizzy: :laugh: :laugh:
  7. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Well, lets see. I could do my lawn for a cool $627,264.00 (@8.00 per foot)

Unless you have a tiny, postage stamp lot, there is no money savings to be had. I would have to save $20,908.80 a year in mowing, watering (which people don't do around here) and fertilizing.

Unless it was closer to .25c a foot I am out. That would be a $20,000 investment, it would be nice to only only have to vacuum my lawn 3 or 4 times a year...........
  8. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing new here. Could see this working in hot, arrid climates where real turf does not survive, but not in the NE. Still have to get someone to clean up after all the deciduous trees that drop leaves on top of it, and this stuff needs to be treated with a UV protectant, so it is not completely free of maintainance. Anyway, here is a franchise that's been out for a few years www.waterlessgrass.com if your curious.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Wow you mean that with 38,500 square feet of lawn we're only talking Three hundred thousand dollars that is so cheap!
    It will save me a ton of water because it costs $15 - $22 / month to water this incredible expanse, I am so tired of wasting my money I better call these people, I should be able to recover my investment in under a thousand years.

Oh but wait... No grass-cutting, no fert + aeration, etc... Ok that helps, that puts it in the same category as a mortgage, 20 years or so.
    What's the warranty, 5 years?

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

For a very small lawn, especially urban sites, it's a good idea. What about porosity? Where does the rain go?