1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

it's 2 am, WHERE'S MY FIFTY BUCKS!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 13, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what's the nuttiest thing you've ever done to collect a debt? mine is pretty much a tie between the 3 hour "customer drove me to the police station", and the 2am call. you see, it happened like this:
    i'm cutting this ladies lawn, and she says could i please call her friend, he lives on the other side of town, he needs me. ok, so i call, he wants it cut one time only. i go over, it's a tiny yard, up to my knees. i call his office, tell him $50 beans. he says okay, i get his home #, and tell him where to send the check. i mow. a week goes by, no check. i call, leave messege. i call his office, leave messege. i do this daily for a week, he don't call back. i wait a couple weeks, repeat process. he never calls me back. somehow, i forgot about it. just completely forgot. it was 8 MONTHS LATER, and 2 am, i was at my friends house drinking beers, i was looking through my wallet for something, and this little piece of paper falls out with this guys phone # on it. AND IT HIT ME, this bum never paid his bill. so i call, and he answeres, "hello?" and i say loudly, " I THINK 8 MONTHS IS LONG ENOUGH FOR YOU TO SAVE UP $50 BUCKS TO PAY ME!!!" he goes, " who, who, who is this?" i say, " IT'S THE IDIOT WHO CUT YOUR LAWN 8 MONTHS AGO, AND I'M COMMING OVER TO GET MY MONEY, RIGHT NOW!!!" he goes, oh, oh my, hey, let me mail you a check. " i say, " NOPE, NOT A SHOT IN HELL, I'LL BE THERE IN 10 MINUTES, CLICK!!!!!" i show up, and before i could knock on the door, i see there's a check taped to it. for $75. how far will you go to collect $50?
  2. travis strecker

travis strecker LawnSite Member

man u tell some good stories u need to find some decent customers
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Now that Bobby is what I call giving the customer the gentle touch. Glad you got the money you were owed.

4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

LMAO. Im supprised the check wasnt in a cops hand for the customers protection.
  5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you tell your customers "why can't you be more like bobbygedd's customers, you suck!" hahaha, or "I wonder who bobby is chasing down, huh ill hear about it this evening on lawnsite." Good stories bobby keep em coming, the tru cutting machine you are.

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I had no idea they had trailer parks in NJ!:blob3:
  7. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

off topic

His governor is GAY!!1

8. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I went door knocking the day after Christmas last year on a couple of delinquents. Figured they should be home, and did get one of the 2 paid. I'll have to remember the 2am call some Saturday night after tossing a few too many. lol
  9. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Around here, thats a good way to get shot.
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how bayfish, by stiffing the lawnguy?