"It's a little overgrown" ...........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenscapestx, Jul 19, 2008.

1. greenscapestx

greenscapestx LawnSite Member

Don't you just love working for realtors? Hasn't been mowed in a while you say? Hmmm, I don't think I've ever seen weeds 8 feet tall before. I know, there's still clippings on the road, but i figured at least you can see the house now, and the traffic would blow them off in no time. Plus, after 1 and 1/2 hours, I was ready to get the he!! out of there.
    whitehouse property 001.jpg

whitehouse property 005.jpg

whitehouse property 012.jpg

whitehouse property 008.jpg

whitehouse property 001.jpg

whitehouse property 005.jpg

whitehouse property 012.jpg

whitehouse property 008.jpg

2. CGlisson

CGlisson LawnSite Member

That looks awesome for 1.5 hours. I've had several jobs like this one you did. What was your plan of attack for this jungle?

3. George Mason

George Mason LawnSite Member

I've had my share of these in this, my first year of business. So far, they have all been one and done. I suppose they might mow once or twice, but in the meantime time passes by and their lawn is creeping up on them and they'll call me again. I go home and tell about "another scalawag job" today, though nothing has rivaled this job of yours!

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I sure hope you mad some good money there.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

damn, my back yard looks like that all the time! LOL j/k

As long as you bid a fare price for yourself, it really shouldn't matter how bad it is.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I guess...

I've done my share of those jobs too and I'm not above doing it but it has also been my experience folks aren't willing to pay what it's really worth, just what we have to do somedays but I've also quoted properly on them jobs before and never had a one say yes then, so sadly it just doesn't excite me like it used to.

Way I look at things...
    Bent blades, broken spindle bearings, burnt belts, and a week's worth of wear and tear on the mower all in 1-2 hours :p
    Then to do it properly the clippings really need to be hauled away.
    And it could be a fun job, in ways it is, but it ought to be done right and it should pay what it's really worth.
    Of course they don't care lol.

It's all good thou, I've dealt with worse, stuff so high and thick you couldn't see through it, there were no gaps between... It was an interesting job at the time, but for what I got paid then and re-considering the entire relationship with that customer in the years afterwards I am not so sure I'd want to do it again.

Which, I'm not trying to put anyone down I am thinking the only fun part of it all is the challenge within, and the experience, it is kind of 'wow' but I do have to be in the right frame of mind for it.

Peace out

7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Been there done that!

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'll say it again, "I don't do work for realtors, period."

And I speak from experience. They wait until the last minute to try and save a dime and then when they want something done, it's got to be done ASAP and they want to negotiate the price like it's a house sale.

Good job on your clean-up, there. I'd say minimum $100.

9. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Job well done. How much do properties like that sell for in America? Just curious.
    atb Phil:)

10. greenscapestx

greenscapestx LawnSite Member

I bid it at $200 and they said go for it. After bidding too many way too low, I decided from now on I will not underbid again. I figured it would take longer than it did, but my helper got after the weeds in front with a machete. He had them cut down and loaded in the truck by the time I mowed the back twice. Then he got the trimmer out and I jumped on the dixie chopper and mowed the front about 6 times, dropping the deck 1 notch every 2 times. Luckily the only thing I ran over was a 10ft piece of coax cable. It got tangled up in the dixie chopper blades, but 5 minutes with some wire cutters and I was back at it. Thanks for all the positive feedback guys.